Connecting flight at Heathrow - sufficent time between flights?

Aer Lingus in Dublin have issued me a BA boarding card for LHR to US (both flights were booked through BA), but this was a few years ago before the 'tighter security measures', so maybe things have changed.

I checked my itinerary and the flight from Dublin to LHR is with British Airways. The connecting flight to LAX is with BA too. Hopefully that means we will arive into the same terminal that we will depart from to LA.

This means you're booked on the BA "Codeshare" on the Aer Lingus flights from DUB-LHR - it's still the Aer Lingus flight but BA can sell some seats on it on their "BA" code ... quite normal and the good thing is it exempts you from the Aer Lingus baggage charges :) -

Downside is though you'll probably have to use the manual checkin though (last time I did this anyway I couldn't use the self service machines) they should be able to issue you the onward boarding card (if they can't for some reason it's not the end of the world anyway - but i've certainly got BA and other boarding cards from Aer Lingus in Dublin on many occasions)

I always leave 1.5 hours to transfer at Heathrow and I've never had any problems.

Back on topic: I have 100 minutes to make a transfer from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3. I'm planning to go out to T1 arrivals and walk (briskly) from T1 to T3 landside, rather than go through the FCC (and risk a delay waiting for a bus.). I can checkin online, so won't have to get a boarding card in LHR.

I assume from the above this is doable, even if my inbound flight is delayed 20 minutes? What if I add that it's mid-morning on a Saturday in July!?

It's not the end of the world if I miss the onward flight, so I don't really want to change the DUB-LHR leg to an earlier flight, unless someone says it's unlikely I'll make the transfer. When I booked it originally I relied on the transfer times on the BAA Heathrow site, which in retrospect seem to be wildly optimistic.

Should be fine really... indeed you can go back outside and avoid the FCC altogether ... simplest way to get to T3 landside is to go via the tunnels through the tube station .... walking in the open air is possible but it's not very well signed and doesnt' seem to be particularly encouraged.

I'd say if you're not picking up luggage then you'd easily walk all the way from the arrivals at T1 Gates 80-90 to the security entrance in T3 in about 15 minutes ... Of course how long it may take you to get through T3 security may be another story .. the queues in Heathrow can be awful (but then they can be tiny sometimes - I went through T1 this morning in 45 seconds)

Thanks for that. Hand luggage only so should be OK. I've seen some horror stories on the web about 2-3 hour waits in FCC/security at peak times, and this is the first summer with the hand luggage restrictions in full force.

Back