Compo culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
More insurance shenanigans

The Vintners Federation of Ireland (VFI) – a trade organisation for pubs outside the greater Dublin area – said a recent survey showed 77pc of publicans with no claims in five years have been hit with premium increases of 40pc.

I think this bit sums it up;

“The reluctance of insurance companies to properly and fully defend cases and a willingness of the legal profession to take on spurious cases and to substantially reward themselves for doing so is part of the problem"

Tourist gets €67,000 for stairs fall in museum

The pensioner fell on the third step from the bottom.

We need to get the Vinters lobby hammering the government, about the only lobby that might be able to stand up to the legal mafiosa.

More insurance shenanigans

The Vintners Federation of Ireland (VFI) – a trade organisation for pubs outside the greater Dublin area – said a recent survey showed 77pc of publicans with no claims in five years have been hit with premium increases of 40pc.

I think this bit sums it up;

“The reluctance of insurance companies to properly and fully defend cases and a willingness of the legal profession to take on spurious cases and to substantially reward themselves for doing so is part of the problem"
Very good posts on this topic WolfeTone

Seven personal injury actions worth up to a total of €420,000 from a 'rear-ending' road traffic accident have been dismissed or withdrawn after a motor assessor told a court that the two cars involved never collided.

Seven personal injury actions worth up to a total of €420,000 from a 'rear-ending' road traffic accident have been dismissed or withdrawn after a motor assessor told a court that the two cars involved never collided.
But there was no fraud... right?

But there was no fraud... right?

Difficult to believe alright :rolleyes:

Drastically reducing the awards paid out would really help in stamping out this Compo Culture, but I wonder should there be a special unit set up within an Gardai to investigate these claims?

Also, I think where cases are found against the plaintiff & cost are awarded, failure to pay within the specified dates should result in time behind bars. And this should be enforced.

And on it goes...

"A schoolboy has failed in his personal injury action where he claimed his primary school was negligent in supplying him with a deflated football that caused him to break his wrist during a soccer match."

"Julius claimed that kicking the deflated ball during a soccer match with class-mates at break-time on March 14, 2017, caused him to fall."

"...the school had to employ its own engineer in its defence"

People should at least have to pay their own costs in failed compensation cases. Where the case looks fraudulent they should perhaps have the option to immediately pay the costs of the defendant or face fraud charges. I wonder would it help if there was a short-list of judges who dealt with all claims cases. Also the claims history of the plaintiff should be available to the court. Awards should look primarily at medical bills and lost earnings to calculate modest awards.

There does need to be some level of claims otherwise some councils and businesses would be lax about providing a save environment.

There have been many reports of failed compensation claims recently in the newspapers. Much more than usual.

Is this because there are more failed claims, or is it because someone wants to highlight the "fact" that not all compensation claims are successful.

I have a suspicious mind. Someone is playing the press here.

Someone is trying to paint a picture that lots of bogus compensation claims fail, thus suggesting that the system is working well, further suggesting that it does not need reform.

The press being lazy is playing along.

But then there's the likes of this story https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...-fiance-beaten-in-street-attack-38357898.html

Now no doubt some compensation was merited but dare I suggest that €1.1 million is excessive?

Im not sure, it was a pretty despicable experience at the hands of a State organ. A State organ that is granted, for obvious reasons, extensive powers. It is extremely important that such powers are used for the intended purpose and not used, as appears to be the case here, to infringe on the basic rights of the citizen to be treated with due regard to the law. An assumption was made by officers, who set about invoking their powers, unnecessarily, against this man, subjecting him to verbal and physical abuse on that assumption.
The award, as I mention in another thread, sends a message and will hopefully drive standards in the Gardai to minimize the possibility of such occurences in the future.
And for the 2m+ taxpayers in the country, it costs us around €0.50c each!

Im not sure, it was a pretty despicable experience at the hands of a State organ. A State organ that is granted, for obvious reasons, extensive powers. It is extremely important that such powers are used for the intended purpose and not used, as appears to be the case here, to infringe on the basic rights of the citizen to be treated with due regard to the law. An assumption was made by officers, who set about invoking their powers, unnecessarily, against this man, subjecting him to verbal and physical abuse on that assumption.
The award, as I mention in another thread, sends a message and will hopefully drive standards in the Gardai to minimize the possibility of such occurences in the future.
And for the 2m+ taxpayers in the country, it costs us around €0.50c each!
Maybe giving the man in question a few Dunnes Stores vouchers and making the Gardai spend €1.1 training their officers in the correct application of their powers would have been a better use of public money.

Maybe giving the man in question a few Dunnes Stores vouchers and making the Gardai spend €1.1 training their officers in the correct application of their powers would have been a better use of public money.

Maybe, or maybe it would induce Garda training officers to encourage officers to overstep their powers, ensuring a perpetual fattening of the training budget and overtime.
I can hear the complaints already...why do we spend so much on Garda training and they still make all these mistakes!?

False imprisonment, false detention, verbal and physical abuse, is no laughing matter.

Maybe, or maybe it would induce Garda training officers to encourage officers to overstep their powers, ensuring a perpetual fattening of the training budget and overtime.
I can hear the complaints already...why do we spend so much on Garda training and they still make all these mistakes!?

False imprisonment, false detention, verbal and physical abuse, is no laughing matter.
I'd take it for half the money.
For €1.1 million they could have done waterboarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back