Complicated situation re Aunt with Fair Deal

It sounds like he has no intention/capacity to intervene in this process. Age action or the other Age advocacies might be more helpful or a social worker and district nurse as someone above mentioned would be my first port of call...
I have recently done an application and the amount of to-ing and fro-ing was incredible, months of it and the application for FD loan still has not been finalised....

I suggest that the house needs proper insurance cover as it is main asset to cover care costs. I recently had to leave my late mother's house empty awaiting probate and was advised to leave some heating on as it was mid winter and that house be checked once a week. Is there even any insurance in place at the moment? In my area I know of several houses that are obviously neglected/unoccupied so it seems there is a grey area or even legal black hole.

Where does this come into play?

No nursing home will wait until the resident passes away to be paid.
You can apply to avail of a 'loan service' as part of Fair deal which means the liability will be paid after the residents death. Its usually availed of when a resident has no cash but does have property. Usually the property is sold after death and the HSE gets paid. Liability must be paid within 12 months of death.

You can apply to avail of a 'loan service' as part of Fair deal which means the liability will be paid after the residents death. Its usually availed of when a resident has no cash but does have property. Usually the property is sold after death and the HSE gets paid. Liability must be paid within 12 months of death.
Yes - but the NH still has to be paid monthly, which the hse will do once all set up. You might get transitional funding in interim, this is where a social worker is very helpful.

The loan is only recouped after death so to set up FD loan, you'll need to provide deed of house, your aunts signature on loan app (has she capacity?) And if she doesn't you'll need a DMR (No longer ward of court).

Am open to correction, but I don't believe applying for the NHL is mandatory.
No it's not but to my understanding, if you don't have the actual funds to pay your 'asessed contribution ' and you reside in home longer than anticipated, the FD loan is usually the next step. Unless your family steps in and pays the fees

Yes - but the NH still has to be paid monthly, which the hse will do once all set up. You might get transitional funding in interim, this is where a social worker is very helpful.

The loan is only recouped after death so to set up FD loan, you'll need to provide deed of house, your aunts signature on loan app (has she capacity?) And if she doesn't you'll need a DMR (No longer ward of court).
I fully understand the Fair Deal system - I have went through the process before for an uncle so Im fully aware how it works.

I dont think you have read my posts. My Aunt doesnt have capacity and given the unique circumstances already outlined I am reluctant to being involved in the Fair deal application at all. I want my cousin ( her sole benificiary) to take responsibility. My fear is if he does not take responsibility and he does not in his role of executor sell the house the debts wont be paid. I dont want any part in it to ensure I have no liability.

I fully understand the Fair Deal system - I have went through the process before for an uncle so Im fully aware how it works.

I dont think you have read my posts. My Aunt doesnt have capacity and given the unique circumstances already outlined I am reluctant to being involved in the Fair deal application at all. I want my cousin ( her sole benificiary) to take responsibility. My fear is if he does not take responsibility and he does not in his role of executor sell the house the debts wont be paid. I dont want any part in it to ensure I have no liability.
The obvious way not to have any liability is to not get involved but I do understand you are trying to do the decent thing by your aunt.

If the fees are not being paid and Fair Deal is not in play, it is possible (I assume) for the nursing home to secure a charge over your mothers assets but I've not heard of that being done in the past. In effect, if the nursing home is owed a 6 figure sum, and your cousin has inherited the assets, then potentially they'd get a court order against him and send in the bailifs. At that stage, why would you care since it is not your house?

I dont think you have read my posts.

People have read your posts.
My Aunt doesnt have capacity and given the unique circumstances already outlined

These circumstances are sadly far from unique.

I am reluctant to being involved in the Fair deal application at all. I want my cousin ( her sole benificiary) to take responsibility. My fear is if he does not take responsibility and he does not in his role of executor sell the house the debts wont be paid.

Why are you bothered if you are not the executor or beneficiary?

I dont want any part in it to ensure I have no liability.
No arm of the state can coerce you into assuming the costs of an aunt’s care.

Remember the above and do whatever you feel your conscience obliges you in connection to her affairs but don’t ever offer to assume responsibility for cost of care.

I wish you only the best. I believe you will do right by your aunt and be a point of contact. I would personally not pay for anything; the private NH will add to bill. The public ones will provide most things for free (yes, they won't tell you that but they won't leave your aunt with matted long hair if you don't pay for a hair dresser).

Financially I would let the nephew sort it out, and honestly, worry about what happens after she dies when she dies. It is not your responsibility. But you will be able to put your head on the pillow at night and know that you are doing the moral, the right thing. A visit here and there, a bunch of flowers at christmas, checking in on staff, you can be of such help to your aunt if you choose to be. You don't have to do it - but you want to do it.

I know of lots of people that had no next of kin - some never had any visitors for years. I know of others who had neighbours come in now and then just to say hello. And believe me, I knew more than one family who had a niece or nephew or cousin who dropped in a lot, but had nothing to do with their fees or finances. As another poster said, no one can force you to do anything, or to take responsibility for anyone. But you can do a little bit as a human being. Most staff in NH will nearly adopt them (especially the public ones, the staff there generally stay for long periods of working). Plus a lot of ativitities are free, PT, ot, AND especially SW. The fact they have no hidden costs will be of benefit to your nephew (who cares) but will be of benefit to your aunt. Private may not take aunt if there is an issue with payment, so I would assume public NH will be looked at.
Just be a little careful about your involvement. the NH may try to drag you into meetings about care plans, and decisions, etc. It behoves them to be as compliant with best practise as possible. You can be firm and say I want no say say in her care. And stay firm.

Back