Commuting advice ... help!

Hi Dinaella - would you think of applying for a job in Blanchardstown or the north of the city - there are a good few IT companies there and you would avoid having to go into town...

any hope that the roads / transport systems will improve? the m50/n4 junction is going through some serious work.

This junction has improved and traffic gets through quicker from Liffey Valley to Palmerstown, but it just postpones the build up so there's heavy traffic at the other end of the Chapelizod bypass. At least that's been my experience.

I've read all the posts and not one person has recommended you do it. Stay where you are, take less money and have a life. I think you'd be crackers to take the job.

But best of luck!

Thanks for all the advise and I agree that with more and more people moving out to the Midlands the commute is going to get worse until the rail system from Mullingar/Tullamore and Dublin is more frequent .... from what I have heard the commute getting any worse than it is would have serious impact on people that do it.

Its a tough one but something has to give sooner or later on the commuting issue for sure.

Dont Dont Dont Dont !!

When I was doing the 12mile commute from Northside inside M50 to Sandyford every day, spending 1.5 hrs each way I was goung mad.

I always said I would easily take a 10k pay cut and more to be able to walk to work. Its money saved on fuel easily and the value of your pesonal time, sanity and well being is priceless.

Hi,
Here is a report from the trenches:

I live in athlone and did the commute to Dublin (chapelizod) yesterday morning. I was testing the commute from Chapelizod to Baggot St, since I also have gotten a job on Baggot Street. I left Athlone at 5.40 AM and got to chapelizod at 8am. Traffic started way before Lucan turnoff and lasted u until the M50 roundabout. From there to chapelizod was fine. I got the bus from chapelizod to D'Olier street and walked to Baggot St from there. I arrived at workplace at 8.45AM. If you were to drive up the quays rather than getting the bus, it would take much longer due to bus lane introduction.

Thankfully this was a once off journey for me. Moving up to Dublin was the only option for me. This was no problem though, I have no ties in the midlands. It really does depend on your own circumstances. However, I would not wish that commute on anybody, plus you will hit the exact same problems on your way home. All in all it would add up to a 14 hour day I would estimate, its up to you. Hope this helps.

Back