Commuting advice ... help!

dinaella

All,

I need some advise on commuting as have been offered a good secure job in Baggot Street and my only worry is the commute.

I'm living in westmeath and currently have a good job here but not sure how secure (no pension, bonus, VHI) - would the commute be worth the security ...? I have heard the commute is really tough. I would be driving as need the car and have flexi time to a point ..?

Or am I better off staying local and taking a chance?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Commuting advise ... help!

stay local thats a crazy commute you'd have no life with travelling plus fuel costs wont be going down either.

Sounds to me like a huge commute.
Investigate the possibility of renting closer to Dublin and renting out or selling your house in West Meath (a course of action I took a couple of years ago as I couldn't hack the commute...from Meath).
Good luck, difficult decision if there's a big monetary incentive to job in the city.

HI Dinaella

Unless you are getting an exta €15,000 with a top bonus and you can start a 10am i would not do it.It is a long distance.Take a day off and leave the house doing the route it would be very stressful.You probaly will have to pay for parking aswell.

In a word - don't.

You could take out a personal pension (PRSA) and stay in your current job. It would probably cost less than the cost of commuting to Baggot St. and you would still live and work locally.

I commute from Trim to Fairview and it takes 2 hours door-to-door each way. Its JUST about bearable, but there are no IT jobs in my local area.

agree with the other posters that to commute is soul-destroying, as well as v.hard on your car and, after a while, your coming-home time of 8pm or later is then normal... it is far from normal.

If you have a family, I'd say no. You won't see them.

If you don't have a family, you might consider taking a room in Dublin and trying to structure your work so that you spend say 3-nights a week in town and the rest at home. You'll be splitting your life between two places and paying a rent as well as your mortgage. I know someone who does this and because that person is well paid and has a pretty vibrant social life in Dublin, its thought worth it.

I used to commute in every day from Laois using a private bus service and used every trick in the book to make myself try and believe my situation was okay and manageable. I began to realise that it was not working when I found myself getting unwilling to go anywhere at weekends because I was so sick of travelling.

You'll choose at the end of the day, but please do think v.long and hard about it.

Thanks a lot for the responses, Its flexi time for the job but still will be leaving Baggot Street at 4.30 at the best.

Most people I have spoken to think I'm better off staying where I am and seeing what happens as the commute is something big to dedicate yourself to long term - I'm also in IT and jobs around here are limited but the Dublin has a better long term future I guess which is the attraction.

I do have a young family who are settled here so no chance of moving closer (not that i could really afford it to be honest !).

Need more companies to come to the Midlands !!!

Is there a parking space with the job?

I commuted from Tallaght to Baggot street for six months and thought it was terrible.

I gladly took a different job, not in the city centre, but less pay.

Hi,

Yup, there is a parking space with the job - it just seems part of the city thats really hard to commute to. Someone said look at N11 and M50 as a route but have a feeling that would be a tough route to get to the N4.

Certainly something you have to think very serious about before taking on which is a pity because there seems to be lots of good jobs in the city right now - I guess thats the price for choosing to live in the country.

Have you tried to do the trip at the time of day you'd likely to be doing it?

I suspect that would make your mind up for you.

hi

Im commuting from Meath up @ 540 every morning for the bus so at least i can sleep. I'm only doing it for the money, however if i got a good job offer at home i'd give it up in a minute.

hi

Im commuting from Meath up @ 540 every morning .
Oh god thats the middle of the night..poor you! Nevermind the westmeath-dublin commute, commuting in dublin alone is horrendous! The M50 is soul destroying just getting from south to north dublin most days-adding on another hour to westmeath would be madness!

if you value your sanity don't
if your in a relationship and value that dont - - you get in the door annoyed with everything in life and its those closest to you that you end up taking it out on
I do 1 1/2 commute e/w and it kills me and that isint bad towards some of the horror stories Ive heard.

Couldnt have put it better myself! I leave work in great form and get home in the horrors! I thought it was just me p*ssed off with sittin in soul destroyin traffic day in day out!

All,

I have heard the commute is really tough. I would be driving as need the car and have flexi time to a point ..?

Or am I better off staying local and taking a chance?

Thanks for any advice.

Is there no way you could park the car in Mullingar or elsewhere enroute and get the train to Pearse the rest of the way? Personally I think it would be mad driving that distance. I live approx 11k from the city centre and will only drive as a last resort even though my hours are flexible and have parking. Train every day. Its not perfect but that traffic would kill any sane person!

Thanks for all the responses, from everyones experiance and people I speak to it seems the commute is a really tough choice and thing to do. I know some people who have done it for the last 4 / 5 years and it seems to become the 'norm' and they don't worry about it too much but that scares me a little.

The company I work for has an office in the uk and they all commute that time and more but have to say they get really well paid for it as well.

Its a tough one and seems to be a lot of people out there doing it at the moment - any hope that the roads / transport systems will improve? the m50/n4 junction is going through some serious work.

Demand will always increase to fill capacity, unless theres a viable alternative like public transport etc. IMO it will only get worse. Depends if you want to waste precious time commuting when you could be doing something far more interesting, and enjoyable.