commute gorey to dublin

I've been doing this run from outside Gorey to Glasnevin for the last 13 years. The earlier suggestion of doing a temporary experimental run for a short period is to be recommended. You will need plenty of patience (and sometimes nerve) to do it as driver behaviour and attitude can often be frustrating.
The only way to do it is to travel early in the morning to avoid the rush and don't use the M50. When I started in 1994 I used to leave the house at 6.30 n the morning, now it's 5.30 but this relaxes when the schools are closed for holiday periods. I never use the M50 or the Toll Bridge. If you leave early it's actually quicker and shorter through town, I usually do it in about an hour and twenty or thirty minutes max without breaking any speed limits. If I go by the Westlink I won't do it any faster and will be charged exorbitantly for the privilege.
You will need a reasonably comfortable and safe car. Law of averages will dictate that if you are going to do that kind of mileage on a regular basis then you will very likely have an accident of some sort, not necessarily serious and not necessarily your fault but you should be prepared. A solid car will offer more protection. In my thirteen years commuting I have had a write-off and a couple of very minor scrapes, none of them my fault but I was glad that in the the serious I was driving a reasonably good car (Peugeot 405) and everyone was wearing seatbelts.
Don't let that panic you, by being careful, not speeding and driving sensibly you shouldn't have to worry too much but just be sure that you don't get too attached to your car because you will get scratches when other drivers jump lanes without checking properly or with the intention of making you get out of their way even when you are in the right. You will also get little trade in on high-mileage cars.
If you are going to commute, don't depend exclusively on public transport as it is unreliable at times, particularly the train. The bus is uncomfortable (for me anyway, I'm 6 foot 3) but it is more frequent than the train. They are all improving so in the next few years that could all change. When using the bus or train, you will still need to get to the terminus or station in Gorey and then when you get to Dublin you will have to get out to Finglas from the City centre. You will never do the trip in less than 2 hours and a bit when you use public transport and you will also be at the mercy of their time-table which can be a pain if you finish work early the odd time or if you need to work late on occasions.
Commuting will effect your social life and other stuff aswell. Forget about following the soaps on telly and getting involved in community activities will be difficult unless you are very committed.

This all might sound a bit gloomy and discouraging but it's not as bad as I might appear to be painting it. I have been doing it for a long time now and I would never consider moving closer to work, I love where I live and I actually do have a social life. I am also very involved in community activities and voluntary groups but like I said earlier, it needs a lot of committment. I don't miss Coronation Street or the like, I was never a big soap fan. My main area of regret is that I would like to have more time at home with my wife and 4 kids but my work does allow a good amount of flexibility at certain times of the year which compensates.

Before you make the choice to commute, examine your motives. Do you already live in Gorey or are you thinking of moving down. If you are thinking of relocating I would think very carefully about it. I know several people who have moved back to Dublin because they could not cope with the commute, it's not for everyone. If you are doing it purely for a cheap house with a bit more ground around it then I would think carefully. There's more to a home than cheap bricks and mortar. You have to look at the environmental factors aswell, will you be a local participant, neighbours and friends are an important part of the whole deal and you need to be sure that you don't leave yourself and anyone else with you with a shortfall that you later realise is actually important.

At this stage I think I've said enough, good luck with you decision. I know I'm happy with mine and would never move from here. Make sure you choice is an informed one and if you have any more questions feel free to contact me at senderunknown@eircom.net
If I can help, I will, good luck

God! Did I write that much???

Sorry!

All i can say is dont do it.
I did it for a year - the opposite direction. It still took over an hour to get to Gorey from Deansgrange and there was hardly any traffic going that direction.
Coming back took 1.5 hours min in the evenings.
Forget trains and buses, they take just as long and are unreliable. Maybe if you work right beside a train station and can get parking at the station in Gorey, but ... no .. wouldnt do it.

I'll give you big huge reason not to commute from Gorey to Dublin. Petrol.
You are talking at least €5000 a year in petrol for that commute at todays petrol prices. In ten years your commute will have cost you €50,000 min even in the unlikely event petrol prices never rise again.
Think hard about that.

Dont buy into the hype of commuting for a cheaper house. Its a false economy of the highest order. Think about the cost of the commute and add that to the cost of the house. Also add in the cost in your time at whatever your hourly wage is.

I agree with Minion regarding moving to Gorey for cheap house prices. You have to look at the wider implications of what you are doing. It's a false economy if you do it purely on the basis of costs. While I don't spend €5000 a year (I drive a diesel car) the costs associated with commuting need to be factored in to the price. Fuel and servicing would certainly cost €4000 to €4500 a year on top of the cost of the car itself and the depreciation costs associated with high milage. €5000+ a year is nearly €100 a week or €425 a month. How much extra of a mortgage could you get for that kind of money? That's the equivalent of €75000 of a mortgage over 25 years at approx 5%. Work it out at http://www.jeacle.ie/mortgage/.
It's a lot of money which is literally burned away.
David O'C

I'll be starting the commute from Gorey to Dublin in 3 weeks, whoopie! I can do either 8-4 or 9-5 and my office is 2 mins from Pearse station. I'm 20 mins walk to Gorey station, but the train times aren't great. My wife is from Wexford town and I'm from Dublin so Gorey is a compromise, we're moving there in the next couple of weeks. At least the wife has got a job close to Gorey.

Am I better off driving to Greystones or Bray and getting the Dart in for 8 or driving the whole way? How long should the drive home take leaving city centre at 4pm? Thanks!

Drive to Greystones, parking that close to Pearse Street station will cost you in the region of €2.50 an hour and you will still need to leave Gorey between 5.30 or 6 to get ahead of the traffic and find a space to park. I find that I need make the roundabout at Loughlinstown before 6.30 or else I feel like doing a u-turn and going home again. Traffic builds up suddenly and can be very unpredictable during the year. By going to Greystones you have more flexibility if you want to work on a bit or of you suddenly find that you can leave early.

I started my commute from Gorey to city centre last week. I leave Gorey at 6.15 and get into city centre at 7.30. I leave city centre at 3.50 and get back to Gorey at 5.15. The first couple of days I drove over the speed limit slightly passing out cars where I could. The last couple of days I took it much easier and stayed within speed limits. There was only about 5 mins in the difference! I'm sure it will get a lot worse once September hits, but hopefully the 2nd half of bypass will compensate. Greystones will probably be a better option then, cheers.

Debbie, Just my opinion but you would want to be off your trolly to take on that commute on a daily basis! Why dont you rent down there for a couple of weeks to see exactly what it is like. Best of luck though what ever your decision.

It aint that bad guys, have been doing it for a while now, and like everything else, you fit into a rhythm and routine. The fact that this lady is asking means she is already well on her way to making th decision, 'off your trolley' doesnt help.

For what it's worth, what I have lost with regard to time in the car commuting during the week I am gaining in relaxed and more tranquil lifestyle in the south east. It's not until you get out of Dublin that you see what a nightmare it is. Pressure and traffic 7 days a week, no thank you, I'm off to the beach on my bike!

Just one happy story, I think your making a good choice, as lon as you have thought it through long and hard, it's quite an adjustment

Am I better off driving to Greystones or Bray and getting the Dart in for 8 or driving the whole way? How long should the drive home take leaving city centre at 4pm? Thanks!

Defo drive to bray, the express train for 7:10 will get you in before 8 and the 16:10ish train will have you back in bray for 5ish, you will be back in gorey by car for anytime between 18:15-18:30 most days.

Thats our daily route.

Defo drive to bray, the express train for 7:10 will get you in before 8 and the 16:10ish train will have you back in bray for 5ish, you will be back in gorey by car for anytime between 18:15-18:30 most days.
Thats our daily route.

Whats the parking like in Bray and Greystones, around 7am or so?

Back