Cohabiting Redress

Dairylea

My long term cohabiting partner and I have recently split up after 10 years. We have a young child together. For the last few years he was breadwinner while I was homemaker.

During our relationship he has built up considerable wealth and cleared his mortgage on the family home while I have given up earnings and raised the family while he concentrated on his career. All assets are in his name. At the moment myself and child remain in his house (family home) and he has moved out.

He wants me and child to move out and claim homeless so he can move back into the family home on his own. He does have another investment property and more.

I’m aware that I do have rights under the redress scheme because I was a financially dependant cohabitant. Can anyone shed some light on this? What are the courts likely to award? I’d like to try Mediation before going down the court route but I’d like to know what the court is likely to offer as a solution. Would it be much the same as a married couple?

My main concern is a roof over our head and continuity for child. I am currently waiting on legal aid. Many thanks for any input on this matter.

I believe you have very similar rights than to a married couple
The number one priority would be that the child is housed and provided for, so would be surprised if he could force you to go, but I'm no expert on this.
Another matter is what kind of person you are dealing with, that wants to make their own child homeless...

I believe you have very similar rights than to a married couple
The number one priority would be that the child is housed and provided for, so would be surprised if he could force you to go, but I'm no expert on this.
Another matter is what kind of person you are dealing with, that wants to make their own child homeless...
Thank you for your reply. Yes it has been quite an eye opener. The split was not my choice either. Blindsided would be the word.

What a nice man.

Whatever you do, don't agree to move out. You have strong legal protection. If he thinks not being married is some sort of get of jail free card, he is very mistaken.

What a nice man.

Whatever you do, don't agree to move out. You have strong legal protection. If he thinks not being married is some sort of get of jail free card, he is very mistaken.
With hindsight I do think that this was very much his thinking.

Back