Cliftonville Supporters

David Ervine has to applauded for taking the steps he did. and shame on cliftonville supporters for their behaviour the other night. I can well remember ( as can Almo no doubt)the nights that 1) Rangers in 1968 and 2) Linfield in 1979 played in Oriel. the second match in particular. there was actually a full Garda baton chase across Oriel when the game was in progress, and to make matters worse the Gardai lost and Linfield 'supporters' won. but they didn't win the overall battle as the Dundalk 'supporters' were well able to hold their own. the second game had to be played in Holland under Eufa instructions. to Dundalk and Linfields credit the two clubs have joined together to try and make sure that the youths teams in both areas mix and meet each other. How many people outside Dundalk/Linfield knew this? bad new always attracts the headlines, good news rarely. David Ervine opened a good few doors in the past 10 years and its good to see that it was recognised.

I was in Tallanstown for the latter game and I remember my Grandad saying it wasn't safe to go to the game (not that he liked soccer anyway). That Dundalk and Linfield have been workign together proves that there is hope, esp through sport. As one elected official told me, having knitting and baking circles is okay, but they do sweet fa in the long run, sport brings people together and will bring greater benefits.

Theres a virus running through soccer everywhere. Its shocking how people cant forget their differences to have a game of sport. David Ervine was one of the most progressive Unionist/Loyalists around and the Cliftonville support shouldve known this. They probably havent a clue whats going on anyway!

Its getting worse though. Its a joke. 'Hardmen' going around starting fights because they're in numbers. I happen to know a few lads from a certain Dublin clubs 'firm' :rolleyes: and alone they'd find it hard putting it up to one of my sisters. Why dont they just join a boxing/karate/judo club?
They make my blood boil thinking about them. All yakking on singing republican songs when it suits them and then going over to the Motherland :) to support and fight in organised meets over the water.
Point is they havent a clue what they're about similar to the muppets up the North jeering at the minutes silence.

Its getting worse though. Its a joke. 'Hardmen' going around starting fights because they're in numbers. I happen to know a few lads from a certain Dublin clubs 'firm' :rolleyes: and alone they'd find it hard putting it up to one of my sisters. Why dont they just join a boxing/karate/judo club?
They make my blood boil thinking about them. All yakking on singing republican songs when it suits them and then going over to the Motherland :) to support and fight in organised meets over the water.
Point is they havent a clue what they're about similar to the muppets up the North jeering at the minutes silence.
I agree - it's pathetic stuff really.

. suits them and then going over to the Motherland :) to support and fight in organised meets over the water.

in norn iron speak its 'Mainland'.

few years ago ( ok good few years ago) Derry were playing Dundalk in the final of the league cup in Oriel. Derry were relatively new to the league of ireland and had massive support. anyway there was a band playing in Oriel that night and when they were playing the National Anthem the Derry fans sang their heads and hearts off. top of their voices stuff as we just watched and listened. as the National Anthem was coming to a close one of their fans near me shouted at the top of his voice 'Come on Derry - don't let these free state bastards beat yiz' :)

HAHA, Cu, I've had that before, playing against your namesakes in Armagh city (with Naomh Moninne). The club played in the Armagh Hurling League and travelled to the depths of Tyrone and Fermanagh, Armagh and Monaghan for games. But when we played UK sides we were always abused, called Free Staters and so on, but nothing was ever said, we just had to put up with it as we valued our kneecaps. However, Na Fianna play in a League match and a paid for player from Armagh is called a Brit and it's all over the papers and we in the "Republic" are reminded of how we should be accomodating and so on.

I remember Derry playing a Cup Final down in Dalymount and that day my brother and I happened to be in basketball training in school and afterwards we witnessed a running battle between police and Derry fans underneath the walls of Glasnevin cemetery. I hadn't seen the like since Linfield were in town, but the Derry fans started and finished it before climbing on board buses (I can still hear them singing) and heading home.

Back