Clerical Officer duties?

It's a strange post alright. No specific detail except an interview board member lied during the process. And of course existing people are all stupid and having worked in the private makes you a better judge.

I'm assuming it's a temp position as permanent are usually done as part of a panel. Temporary means it's usually the manager with the vacancy sits on the board.

Why? There are some good answers on here? I have the information I need personally.

OK i will bite here. I come from private sector. You can negotiate your way out of a lot of situations.

You have stated yourself you spent most of your life working as a CO. What makes you think that you can answer my question with much authority?

I would welcome an opinion from a long haul CO but its rarely what you get when you ask. A lifer CO thinks they know everything about all work! You don't! You know everything about CO. Its very different. You only know the CO role you said it yourself! The fact you think someone that asks if they can negotiate after being lied to in an interview is someone that is not someone to work with says more about you and your kind (by that I mean low ambitious protect your own patch at any cost and that means supporting abusive management practices) than it does about me . Thank you , very informative! I have noticed how topheavy the public service is with directors and senior ranking managers who are quite honestly stupid and incompetent. I read about it before I joined but they are everywhere! Really stupid managers and a few clever ones who have their own patch, and then an army of TCOs sweating and miserable. The management - some of them, would struggle to achieve the score of moron on intelligence test!

I rest my case!

Mileage and time and other expenses would always be covered if they have to leave the office.

But if you don’t like leaving the office the money won’t help.

Look some people can’t accept change and don’t handle new situations. If they know this about themselves they can plan their lives accordingly and see permanent employment in a position that suits them.

It might take a few goes to find something suitable.

If you have sought after skills or expertise it makes the job hunt easier as employers will be flexible to suit you and gain the expertise.

But lack of people skills is a tough one to overcome.

it remains a privilege to serve the state

What a load of nonsense. That's old school where people actually gave a dam about their role in a PS position. I'm in the private sector, working along side PS/CS, and I can tell you first hand, there are a lot of self-entitled folk there.
Yes, there are good people there, but they are out numbered by the Lazy.

I have always said, going from the Private sector to Public is a journey. These are actually the best people for the job. They have life experience. But that's soon knocked out of them.

Hello, I am new to the public service

Give this person a break, I'm assuming they are young entering the work force. Guidance can be given without the smart comments.

Give this person a break, I'm assuming they are young entering the work force. Guidance can be given without the smart comments.
I don’t know whether you’ve read the full thread but it seems the required guidance should be in the form of endorsement of the OP’s views rather than anything bordering on criticism.

Regardless of where a person works, it’s generally a bad idea to shout the odds, call colleagues morons and insult people when they offer a view that you don’t like.

I’ve worked mainly in the private sector… as a trainee accountant there was a contract in place regarding work. However at various points the partners in the firms had no qualms about deviation, like … pop out and get some sandwiches for the meeting, drop a suit off to the dry cleaners, bring my car over to the dealers for servicing, play golf with the client.

So the idea that private sector workers can stick to their contracts and negotiate is not all always the case.

Flexibility and an open mind is needed and sometimes the jobs is daft and menial but that’s life. It’s an employment contract not a prison sentence. You can leave.

Last edited:
Back