Citroen C4- good car/ bad car?

Carpenter

I hope the mods don't mind me setting up a new thread to explore the above thorny issue? Basically I'm looking at the new C4, with a view to doing a deal this week, based on favourable feedback?. I know Citroen's reputation in recent years has been poor and that they fare poorly in the reliability stakes. However I like the new car, it's well equipped, in my price range and pushes the right buttons for me. On the plus side it scores well in any of the reviews I've read, build quality is better than older Citroens and styling is better than some of its rivals. On the minus side is reputation for reliability and depreciation. In particular I'd like to hear from any C4 owners- how do they rate the car? Does it live up to expectations, how reliable has the car proved- especially electrics, gadgets etc. Also I'd like to know if the 1.4l SX variant is too underpowered? Questions, questions!

I bought a 3-year old xsara 4 years ago and have to say am very happy with it. Hasn't let me down once or spent a day in the garage yet. It's comfortabe on long journeys, well equipped and fuel efficient.
Not really relevant to your C4 question, but this is just my experience.

RS2K said:
50 answers on the other thread.

What more do you want?

50 answers on this thread! :)

Old Jim said:
I bought a 3-year old xsara 4 years ago and have to say am very happy with it. Hasn't let me down once or spent a day in the garage yet.

Yep, I had a Xsara from new '03 to now when I've got the C4 - never had a problem with it either.

I purchased a Citroen C4 SX last summer. Like you I had reservations but I am happy to say that I really love the car. No problems whatsoever except for this when week I got a letter from my supplier to say that there was a recall referred to as Xwu. It would have been nice if they had given more detail as to what the recall was about. Very poor communication.
Incidentally when shopping around I was offered various prices on my trade in but in the end I got the best deal from Victor Motors in Goatstown and the worst from Bursey Peppard.

- Watch out for galloping depreciation on the new car. Citroen discount heavily at sale and it feeds into second hand prices. Maybe better to go for second hand C4 (a year old).

Just out of interest, the list price for a new C4 1.4 SX is €22,700. You can get that for around €19,500 at the moment as the garage pay your VAT. I wouldn't consider any 2005 model advertised on the [broken link removed] a bargain considering what you can purchase a new one for.

Back