Christmas Markets in Poland,Hungary and Germany

I was thinking of going to the one in either Frankfurt or Copenhagen. Is it really that bad in Germany? I know it's a big event but I thought it was still supposed to be quite traditional.

I have to disagree Banker. It felt very christmassy. It's not about buying anything there. It's just about savouring the atmosphere. What do the german men's moustaches have to do with christmas markets? I am going back again in December to visit the markets in Berlin. Maybe they will be more clean shaven there! :rolleyes:

The moustaches put me off... Seeing the Germans eating and drinking with moustaches covered in food and drink and they using there tounges to clean said moustaches was enough to put me off food for the duration of my stay.
But that said, if the Germans were clean shaven I would probably go back also...

There is a great Christmas in Brussels every year. It starts around the beginning of December on the main square in the centre of Brussels and goes on for about 2 weeks. Ryanair fly direct to Belgium (Charleroi) and then Brussels is just a short bus ride away.

Has anyone been to any of the Christmas Markets (I know, way too early to use the c word, but keep seeing the trips advertised...) in Poland, Hungary or Germany?

It sounds like it would be lovely to go, but my fear is that they might be...er....TACKY......???
Would love to hear of anyones experiences...

Thanks!

Vienna - absolutely class xmas markets etc

Booked flights to Copenhagen for Xmas markets.
Have to plug SAS - they give a 24 hour cancellation option with full refund even on restricted economy fares.
Has anyone any experience of weekends there, especially in December.

Don't rule out Cologne for christmas markets. Stunning cathedral, loads of markets and a chocolate museum.
Cologne has great restaurants.....you need to book at the weekends it is so busy. The Kolsch is not bad either.:)

I've been to both Munich (4 years ago) and Hamburg (last year) for the Christmas markets and loved both, perhaps Munich more as it had a older traditional feel about it, it's also great if you can time your trip with the market opening, they light the huge tree in the old square near the glockenspiel (sp?). I'd love to do the Nurenburg one at some stage.

This thread (to me at least) says a lot about the state of society in Ireland these days. The fact that people (including me) are willing to spend hundreds of €s to travel to another country to experience a bit of Christmas festivity says a lot about the types of 'festivities' available here.

I'm not sure whether these types of fairs used to exist in Dublin or smaller cities and towns around the country previously, but the nearest equivalent that I can think of these days involves queueing up behind crush barriers for a 1 hour slot of 'joy' for which you have to pay a lot of money and which is also heavily commercially sponsored.

I know that local schools & parish organisations have Christmas Fetes which are good and I do go along to some of them, but it is not the same as a city or town one on a standing basis.

Does anyone else feel this way ?

z

At least some of the so-called "Christmas Markets" are nothing of the sort. To take Prague as an example, you will find pretty much the same stuff (with some minor seasonal variations) in the markets in February as in the late November/early December period. This includes the main markets such as the Havelka and the Old Town Square Market. Saturday morning markets are a big thing in German cities all year round and imho are just as enjoyable in high summer as in the pre-Xmas period.

I would recommend the ones in Berlin

I used to visit the Christmas markets there every year, simply because I loved the atmosphere. As the article confirms "
Berlin offers you a choice of sixty Christmas Markets" ! So you certainly find one that you is to your liking.
I personally would recommend the one on Alexanderplatz (huge, commercial, it takes you ages to see everything - let alone eat & drink) and the one in Spandau (much smaller and not commercial but art focused with carol singers etc.). Both are very different with their own big plus sides.

No matter which Christmas market you chose to go, Berlin has a great public transport system allowing you to get from A to B in no time!

You can fly with Ryanair and AerLingus into Berlin Schönefeld. The airport is connected to public transport, again allowing you to get hassle free to your hotel. Hotels, of course, are everywhere for all budgets too.

The markets consist of wooden cottages selling typical German Christmas decorations (glas blown tree deco etc.), handcrafted toys, accessories, gifts, you get typical German food such as Bratwurst, mulled wine, rum punch, candied fruits and nuts, chestnuts out of the fire, Sweets, Currywurst, knuckle of pork with Sauerkraut etc. For the kids you'll have carousels, kids train, skating rink etc. Most of them display a scenery of a fairy tale forest (obviously linked to Christmas) and in general they have Christmas Cottages were This post will be deleted if not edited immediately & Co's stories are displayed :)

ubiquitous;Saturday morning markets are a big thing in German cities all year round and imho are just as enjoyable in high summer as in the pre-Xmas period.
The Saturday markets and Christmas markets in Germany are worlds apart, they are both enjoyable but very different from each other.

Back