Christmas Markets in Poland,Hungary and Germany

ckc123

Has anyone been to any of the Christmas Markets (I know, way too early to use the c word, but keep seeing the trips advertised...) in Poland, Hungary or Germany?

It sounds like it would be lovely to go, but my fear is that they might be...er....TACKY......???
Would love to hear of anyones experiences...

Thanks!

Not Poland, Germany or Hungary, but Italy!

I've seen the one here and there wasn't anything there that you wouldn't get in Aldi or Lidl coming up to Christmas.

But then, I don't relly DO Christmas.

I,ve just booked 1c flights to Berlin return for December to see the Christmas markets. A couple of years ago I went to Belgium and Bruges and enjoyed them immensely. The one in Bruges was great. To be honest there is nothing to buy at these. Maybe a wooden toy, a glass of spiced hot wine, a pretzel www.pretzeltime.com (anyone interested in opening a pretzel store in Dublin with me) etc. It is really about the atmosphere and breaking the back of winter with a weekend break to Germany. Great fun.

I agree with Grizzly - whats on offer isn't that amazing but its the atmosphere, wandering around in the snow with a hot mulled wine in hand, everyone so full of Christmas cheer (hopefully!). We went to Krakow last year for its market as well as some great sights in that lovely city. Very cheap place for accomodation, food and drink. We bought lots of things - half of which we could have got here but without all the fun.

The Christmas Market in Nurnberg is not tacky, but its is fairly twee.
Lots of mulled wine ( pronounced glue-vine locally ) and local biscuists and sweets. A lot of the toys for sale are wooden and good quality and a bit
different to what you would get here.

The town square is very typically old European and the atmosphere is nice,
which is really the point.

Xmas on the continent is much nicer than anything in Irleand( I wont start to rant).I was in Munich last December & the atmosphere was fantastic ,sipping gluwhein & eating the sausages.I wouldn't recommend it for shopping though.

The xmas market in Dusseldorf is lovely. We went last Nov with Ryanair from Shannon for next to nothing and accomadation was cheap. The flight and accom(2 nights) together was less than 100 euro.
It pelted snow all wkend, and it was so nice to walk around the markets in the snow sipping mulled wine. A real xmas feeling. Am going to try and get back there this yr for definite

German Christmas Market

Hi,

Has anyone been to a Christmas market in Germany. I'm thinking of going this year and was wondering if anyone could recommend where would be the best place to go.

Thanks,
Helen.

Hi

I've visited the Christmas Markets in Mannheim and we're returning this year to Mainz, which is about 30 mins on train from Frankfurt and 70 mins on bus from Frankfurt Hahn Airport. We had a great time on last visit , lots to see, eat and drink, most of the smaller towns and villages have Christmas markets and we plan on visiting Wiesbaden (10 mins from Mainz) and Rudeshiem about half hour away, most of the larger shops stay opened late and on sunday's during the markets ( usually unheard of in Germany)

I have visited the Christmas markets in Heidelberg and Frankfurt. Heildelberg is beautiful so picturesque a real christmassy feeling. It's about an hour away from Frankfurt.I'd really recommend it. Frankfurt is also nice but not much chance of snow, vewr cheap flights with Ryanair and a lovely hotel €35 per person sharing called the Miramar. The atmosphere is fantastic at these markets.

Cheap hotel in Berlin. U-Bahn station across the street.

Europhile,

that hotel looks nice on their website....is the location nice? is it central enough? safe?

looking to go to Germany this year maybe for birthday....be nice to go cheap ! cheers mica

I went for the more so for its location between East and West of the city. I ended up getting it cheaper in the "hotel sale" that just ended recently rather than booking it directly with the hotel. This is often the case. www.octopustravel.com are the handling agents for Skyeurope hotels.

I've been to the Christmas market in Frankfurt. The atmosphere is fantastic. It's really, really cold but this only adds to the christmassy feel. After work the office workers all come down to the markets and stand around all muffled up in their big overcoats and hats and scarves and sip on mulled wine (Glühwein - literally glowing wine) to try to keep warm while having a chat. I plan to go back again this year but will probably visit a different city just to try somewhere else. I flew Ryanair - farranfore kerry to Frankfurt Hahn. Then you get a bus to Frankfurt. I think you can also opt to go by bus from Frankfurt Hahn to Cologne instead.

Used to live in Frankfurt 10 years ago and have rediscovered
the joys of shopping holidays there in the last two years.
Went to the christmas market last year with my partner
who hates shopping but he enjoyed it so much we are
going again this year. booked the flights in May for
127 euro for us both with aer lingus. Last year we stayed
in the Innside which was 100 euro a night per room
but sheer indulgence. The Holiday Inn in Mailander Str.
usually do great room rates in December. Don't forget
to visit the shops on the Zeil - the main shopping area
for some great bargains in quality clothes, wine, electronics
etc.,

Has anyone stayed in the other towns closer to Frankfurt Hahn Airport for the Christmas Markets? Bingen, Bullay, Mainz?

Also, do the buses wait for the Ryanair flights or are they on set time schedules. What is the genuine tsf time to Frankfurt?

I was there also... The place looked tacky and the german moustaches were too big. The german men's moustaches were pretty big also.
It was all a bit too commercial and loses the whole essence of Christmas.