Childminder - rates for employing

I think that to earn that amount tax-free with the Revenue, you have to notify them/ register with them / become self-assessed. Not as simple as just not declaring it.

I was talking about registering as a childminding with the http://www.childminding.ie/. Alot of parents will look for registration, however this childminder will more than likely charge more as fully compliant.

The revenue is a difference story.

Leo, many Home Insurance Policys cover childminding, also their is NO legal reason for a childminder to register in Ireland unless they mind more than three children.

Many will, but the OP will need to check terms of cover for domestic employees in their policy. If the arrangement is cash-in-hand (i.e. illegal) then you're at the mercy of the insurance company.

That brings us on to the next point, as the OP is looking to bring someone into their home, they in effect become that persons employer, and so will need to register as an employer, pay PRSI, etc.

"Leo, many Home Insurance Policys cover childminding, also their is NO legal reason for a childminder to register in Ireland unless they mind more than three children."

Many Home Insurance Policys cover childminding (as in up to two children in the childminders home). There Insurance packages available (once registered) with the childminding.ie website.

Domestic Home Insurance Policy does not, as far as Im aware cover any sort of childminder/nanny etc coming into a family home to work and yes, they in effect become that persons employer, and so will need to register as an employer, pay PRSI, etc. In fact any childminder/nanny engaging in this type of work in the child's family home will insist on being legit.

"Leo, many Home Insurance Policys cover childminding, also their is NO legal reason for a childminder to register in Ireland unless they mind more than three children."

Many Home Insurance Policys cover childminding (as in up to two children in the childminders home). There Insurance packages available (once registered) with the childminding.ie website.

Domestic Home Insurance Policy does not, as far as Im aware cover any sort of childminder/nanny etc coming into a family home to work and yes, they in effect become that persons employer, and so will need to register as an employer, pay PRSI, etc. In fact any childminder/nanny engaging in this type of work in the child's family home will insist on being legit.

Could you use the 'quote' facility to clarify which parts you are quoting and which are your own words?

Domestic policies usually do cover domestic employees by default. Check out your own policiy under headings like 'Third Party Liability', Public and Personal Liabilities', or 'Liability to Others'.

That brings us on to the next point, as the OP is looking to bring someone into their home, they in effect become that persons employer, and so will need to register as an employer, pay PRSI, etc.

It's a shame that there isn't some mechanism to have a child minder in your home without having to go though all that. If something can be put in place for renting a room then a way to bring child minding out of the black economy shouldn't be beyond the intellect of the wise heads at the helm.
It is hard to see any scheme that wouldn't be abused though.

Au pairs do part time childminding/housework in exchange for pocket money, room and board. Usually 25 hours per week and pocket money of about €100 per week.

Au pairs should not be working fulltime hours.
I know this is a reply to an old post...but I am actually quite disgusted by this and shocked that people actually have this attitude. And not only am I disgusted that is complety illegal and taking advantage of a human being.

Do you value your children? Do you value the person looking after them? How much do you care about other people?

The law states you MUST pay minimum wage to any person minding your child even if they live in your home. Minimum wage in 2014 was €8.65 times 25 is €216 a week or around €450 a week of they work 40 hours which most parents working 9-5 would require and any extra hours would cost extra. Literally parents have been brought to court many times and au pairs awarded thousands of euro owed to them in lieu of hours they worked unpaid because parents though it was acceptable to pay €4 or less an hour to mind multiple children. It's plain inhumane and it doesn't matter that you are providing accommodation which would cost them €600+ euro a month if they lived out and shared with friends. That's still only €1000 a month (if you consider your room your lending them worth €600 a month)

And if you can't afford to pay a minder the basic wage then maybe you should be considering other options. You might be struggling yourself with the bills but why make a kind, caring and loving person who is minding your most precious children by making them struggle with a wage of under €5,000 a year. Just remember you are leaving your children, who I presume are the most precious people in your life (but maybe I'm wrong) with an entire stranger who you want to love them and give them the best most dedicated care possible and you think it's acceptable for that person to try and survive on €100 a week. Are you paying for their health insurance, their phone bills, the odd lunch out with a friend as they are entitled to having friends and see them once and a while...that would hardly cover that and then how do they save for a better future?

These days you would be lucky to get a nanny with no experience for under €12 and hour or €15 per hour if they do have experience weather or not they live with you.

it doesn't matter that you are providing accommodation which would cost them €600+ euro a month if they lived out and shared with friends.

Wow, that's some statement. What about a Nanny/childminder along with being paid €100 +per week, staying in the family home, having their own room, full board and treated with respect and care by the family, along with the fact that she loves the job and what she gets and you're more or less saying it doesn't matter.

Lord knows why a 6 year old post was resurrected, but since we are here....

in 2013 the min hourly wage was €8.42. Au pairs are expected to work a maximum of 20 hours per week which equates to €168 per week before any revenue deductions ( if indeed there were any, I'm not looking up the tax rates for 2013).

Allowances for board & lodging are indeed the norm for au pairs and so a rate of €100 for 20 hours for an au pair in 2013 would have been acceptable.

An au pair is not a full-time childminder, they are untrained and unqualified for such a role.

Ah, 2013...simpler times. Fergie was still at United, Barack Obama was in situ, and the Lions hadn’t won a Test Series since 1997.

Resurrecting a 7 year old thread has to be some kind of record...

Last edited:
You're talking €50 per day 8am to 5pm in dublin. Great value for what you're getting imo.

Back