Cheque sent to my address, not for me - Scam?

Shrimp

Peculiar one this. I was away for a couple of weeks and when I got back there was a letter addressed to a person who doesn't live in my house and never has (checked with the neighbours). There was no return address on the envelope, I was going to throw it in the bin but decided to open it to see if there was any address inside.....but the only thing in the envelope was a cheque for E1000! No accompanying letter or note. The cheque was made payable to what seemed like a company's name (won't mention it here) - Googled it but the only thing that came up was what seemed like a one man/woman web design company in Tyrellstown (not where I live), but I couldn't find any contact details. The company paying the cheque is Romanian.I asked around to see if the person named on the envelope lived in my estate but nobody had heard of her, but I'm still assuming she does live around there, maybe someone who is renting so isn't known by the neighbours yet. Also assuming that my address being on the envelope was just a mistake.I rang the branch printed on the cheque (in Donnybrook) and explained the situation, said I'd post it to them. But they then asked if I would mind if they asked me a few questions, eg: is my house at the end of a row of houses (it's not); is my letterbox away from the house, eg at the front gate (it's not, it's on the sliding door beside the front door); is the sliding door always locked (yes when I'm out); can anyone access my mail inside the sliding door...etc, etc!She wouldn't say too much, but said there was a scam going on with people using other people's addresses to have dodgy things delivered!! All very odd. Has anyone heard of this kind of thing? Has anyone had cheques for E1000 delivered to their house...but they weren't for them?! I should mention the house has been unoccupied for a lot of the last year.Any ideas?

Contact the bank named on the cheque and they may be able to assist you in tracing the sender - you may be able to fax them a copy to speed things up.

I'd make sure my door was well locked over the next few days ....someone could come looking for 'their' cheque....

When you send the cheque back to the bank, write a covering letter with words to the effect that the person/people/company the cheque is made out to and the people writing the cheque are not and never have been resident or based at your property and are not known to you etc. Keep a copy of this letter.

Also write to your local sorting office saying that if any more mail arrives for your address with this persons name on it, you do not want it delivered to your house.

These two letters should save you from future hastle as there is always a danger that someone like Revenue could initiate an investigation into your address if cheques for people they have no record off living at your address keep arriving at your address. Whereas you'll be ok in the end (as you have no real connection with the cheques), you could do without the hastle of a Revenue investigation into your affairs.

if any other ones arrive (don't open them I thought it was an offense to open mail not for you?) mark on it not at this address return to sender

if any other ones arrive (don't open them I thought it was an offense to open mail not for you?) mark on it not at this address return to sender

Already clarified that, there was no return address on the envelope - my only options were to put it in the bin, or open it to find an address. I chose the latter - hardly an offence when the intentions and subsequent actions were honest?!?! Posted the cheque back to the bank today with (as advised above) a letter explaining the exact circumstances. Still guessing this woman lives on my estate, and it's nothing more than a plain old mistake, but still puzzled by all those questions! Any way, thanks to everyone who offered useful advice.

I always just write 'not at this address' on the envelope and put it in the post, it's then the problem of An Post, and nothing to do with me.

the usual trick is whoever sent you the cheque gets in contact, asks you to lodge the cheque to your account and send the money back to them.. The Cheque then comes back bounced & you are out of pocket. Send it to the bank its drawn & let them look after it

Back