cheapest region free dvd player

Alan Moore said:
Hi Monsieur Bond

I could be wrong here.

If it outputs at 720P surely it must upscale. Not too worried as there is an upscaler on the projector I bought.

I saw the review of the HD945 and the HD735 in Home Cinema. Both got rave reviews. But I couldn't find the HD945 freely available. Looks a better machine though.

Couldn't bring myself to spend too much on a DVD player. Have it in mind to buy a playstation 3 in spring 2006 which has 2 HDMI ports, Blu Ray discs and other gizmos.

I see from your link that it does indeed upscale AND has SACD & DVD-Audio support, plus HDMI. Looks good.

I know what you mean about not spending too much money; there's always the "next best thing" coming along!

(I personally think that HD-DVD is going to win out over Blu-Ray as it has more backing, is easier for production plants to convert to, and has that "consumer friendly" moniker.)

"I personally think that HD-DVD is going to win out over Blu-Ray"

You coul be right. I think though that this could be more problematic than the Betamax VHS battle. I think its going to be akin to XBOX, Playstation where the code involved is pretty similar but the top games are normally the reserve of one platform only.

Hence if you want to see Lord of the Rings High Def you'll have to buy a Sony Blu Ray but if you want say Star Wars you'll have to buy the HD-DVD. What a pain in the ass for the consumer. I half expect the current DVD format to die slowly for this reason.

Alan Moore said:
"I personally think that HD-DVD is going to win out over Blu-Ray"

You could be right. I think though that this could be more problematic than the Betamax VHS battle. I think its going to be akin to XBOX, Playstation where the code involved is pretty similar but the top games are normally the reserve of one platform only.

Hence if you want to see Lord of the Rings High Def you'll have to buy a Sony Blu Ray but if you want say Star Wars you'll have to buy the HD-DVD. What a pain in the ass for the consumer. I half expect the current DVD format to die slowly for this reason.

Going Off Topic a bit, but you are right - this is probably going to be the case. (Incidentally, Lord of the Rings, being from New Line, is likely to be a HD-DVD release, even though it is not mentioned yet in the official HD-DVD release lists.)

We may end up yet with a dual compatible player, albeit an expensive one.

Back