cheapest region free dvd player

U

Unregistered

Anybody know what the cheapest region free dvd player is?
D local electrical store has black diamond for €59.
Saw one in woodies for €44.95 (alba) but not one member of staff could tell me if it was region free!!!

There are lots of cheap/generic DVD players, many of which can be made region free through a non hardware hack, going for about €45-€50 these days. Even the likes of Dunnes and Roches are selling them these days. I doubt that you'll get much cheaper than that even by going online. Anyway, at that level the price is almost nominal and the benefits of being able to deal directly with the retailer (as opposed to having to mail stuff back to online retailers) probably pushes things in favour of a local purchase.

Argos are doing a recording dvd player for 179. Don't know if its region free

Power City's newspaper ad had one for €40 the other day. Don't know make or model but it did say Region Free.

Alba DVD Recorder - RDVD1000

Unregistered said:
Argos are doing a recording dvd player for 179. Don't know if its region free

It's the - £99 in the UK, €179.99 in IRL.

A search on Videohelp.com revealed only one review which is negative but this guy may have just had a dud.

A number of the Alba DVD players are remote hackable but I haven't seen a hack online yet for this recordable model.

Last edited:
Re: Alba DVD Recorder - RDVD1000

Did anyone bite the bullet and buy one of these?

Any feedback?

I see also that Dunnes have more stock of the Yamada DVR8000 @ €200 (which gets 4 stars in What Hi Fi, btw)...

[broken link removed] are doing a DVD (and DivX) player next monday for €60. Not sure if it's multi-region though.

amazon.co.uk are doing a multi-region DVD player for STG19.99. I've found them very good for electronic stuff (camcorders,digi cameras etc before) plus they have a good returns policy if theres any problems..

power city are doing the mitsubishi region free dvd player - it's either 39 euro or 49 euro.

The Power City offering is the Mitsubishi Black Diamond. My mother, sister and myself all bought one. My sister went through 3 of them, problem after problem. My own has vertical bands down the left hand side. My mothers does appear to be okay. Wouldn't buy another one. Think the old adage "you get what you pay for applies".

Dunnes Stores are selling a Maxim player for €45 at the moment. Not sure of the specific model or if a multi-region hack is available.

Argos in The Skwayer (Tallaght) had a pile of players (literally) for €40. Alba. I'm sure there'd be a hack available if you looked.

[Edit: Actually, is probably the one I saw and, according to this, it's already region-free]

Cheapest DVD Player that I've seen with HDMI ( upgrades standard definition to HD if you have a HD Ready TV ) and there is a hack.

Alan Moore said:
Cheapest DVD Player that I've seen with HDMI ( upgrades standard definition to HD if you have a HD Ready TV ) and there is a hack.

This may be an older model - the DVD-HD945 gets a good review on Home Cinema Choice ([broken link removed]) - has HDMI, SACD and DVD-Audio Playback, and Video Upscaling. £180 back in February.

Or else the 850 is a trimmed down player without the high resolution audio playback. So you might not get to enjoy music titles such as The War of the Worlds in glorious 5.1 surround.

Maplin Electronics have a DVD player that is DIVX enabled (for those files you downloaded legally off the internet!) or for the Home movies you converted to DIVX for compression purposes!

It is multi region , a Yamada (a brand I have and am happy with) and is selling for Eur 65.

Hi Monsieur Bond

I could be wrong here.

If it outputs at 720P surely it must upscale. Not too worried as there is an upscaler on the projector I bought.

I saw the review of the HD945 and the HD735 in Home Cinema. Both got rave reviews. But I couldn't find the HD945 freely available. Looks a better machine though.

Couldn't bring myself to spend too much on a DVD player. Have it in mind to buy a playstation 3 in spring 2006 which has 2 HDMI ports, Blu Ray discs and other gizmos.