Chartered Accountants & CPA Merger

I hope CPA Ireland will bring their ethos and high standards over to the CAI
Not interested. Just want:
1 lower annual fees
2 no threats of removal CA designation for bot paying fee
3. More transparency re icai finances, more scrutiny of this. Media should ve looking at tbis. Hopefully cpa can facilitate this.

1 lower annual fees
3. More transparency re icai finances, more scrutiny of this. Media should ve looking at tbis. Hopefully cpa can facilitate this.
I completely agree.
The merger has now to deliver for members.(including subscriptions).
There also has to be much better engagement with members.

A superb basis for amalgamating…

I should sell my house and move in with a family down the road.

Imagine the savings we could all make!

The red line issue here is allowing CPAs to use the ACA/FCA designation. They haven’t earned it and they don’t deserve it. Whoever negotiated this ‘deal’ should be taken to to the roof of the white elephant that is Chartered Accountants House and thrown off it.

1 lower annual fees
do you seriously believe that you should be allowed continuing membership of any organisation while refusing to pay the membership sub?

do you seriously believe that you should be allowed continuing membership of any organisation while refusing to pay the membership sub?
No but i do expect to be able to keep my hard eaned CA designation. I dont care much about being a 'member' of icai. Makes no odds to me.

Hi Arthur

If you are no longer a member, I don't think you can use the designatory letters ACA or FCA

Brendan Burgess XFCA

No but i do expect to be able to keep my hard eaned CA designation. I dont care much about being a 'member' of icai. Makes no odds to me.
For QFAs, they get a diploma in financial advice which allows them to use the QFA designation as long as they pay their dues and complete CPD. If they don't, they still have their diploma.

For ACA, the certificate you get at conferring is just a membership certificate. That membership ends when you stop paying. Seems bad that you get less for passing a lot of difficult exams than for 5 multiple choice papers and a case study.

I’m not a member of either organisation but have some understanding of both.

One thing that will be welcomed by CPAs in all this is that they will now be governed by the CAI CPD requirements. As the CAI requirements are far less onerous than those of CPA they will be delighted with the lower bar.
im not convinced that they are to be honest.

I saw the post below on Linkedin.

CAI members who voted in favour of the amalgamation was by a small majority and significant minority against.

------------------------
This was posted by paul lynch fca
I’m not sure what to make of all this. Maybe my thinking is ‘glass half empty’ but the fact is that the vast majority of CAs, by a ratio of more than 2:1, effectively abstained on this matter. Of those that voted really quite a small majority were in favour with a significant minority against. It might be worth some of Council’s time as they move forward considering and maybe looking into the fact that their unanimity on the issue wasn’t reflected in the views of members.

Yes i understand that if i stop paying then i stop being a member and consequently stop being allowed to claim my hard eanred qualification. I get it. It still frustrates me a bit though especially as the fees are so extortionate and the Institue so wasteful with resources. Thats my point.

There is lots of noise within this thread. The jaundiced view that many people have about the CPA qualification stems from the fact that CAI don’t recognise it academically. There’s a sense that people who aren’t at the standard required to be a chartered accountant are being snuck in the back door to bail out CAI.

Folks, I was asked to reopen this thread as there is some vote coming up soon in the CAI.

I have edited the thread to remove a lot of the personally abusive stuff.

Could you please try to keep it on track. Argue your points and disagree with each other with professional respect.

So is this a vote to get the wording right as was suggested above, or could it be reversed?

I believe the CPAs voted overwhelmingly in favour, CAI was close and a small turnout.

I saw this in the paper

High Court asked to approve amalgamation of two accountancy bodies

Back