Charity donations - tv ad

Clubman,

Thank you for your reply. Re-reading back over the thread I realise I may have misinterpreted an original post. 20% was refered to but not in conection with concern.

Yes we have returned the Revenue CHY1 form and concern are claiming back the tax.

Still I am concerned that the majority of my donation is being used for admin and not the purpose intended. I will have to look into this further.

I realised some of this money was being used for admin but are you really saying that only 20% is actually reaching those who need it.

I think you are referring to my post - I am NOT saying all charities do this (I donate directly to Concern also & have no intension of stopping my DD).
I was referring to a large children's charity and how they operated during their annual Xmas collection.

I would never sign up to a charity via a chugger.

I would certainly never donate in any form to Concern because of their constant chugging on the streets.

Fully agree.

The other issue with some charities who work in third world countries is the deals for access they do with the local despot, who is probably causing the food shortages in the first place. Apart from the what % of the donation reaches the charity question, you also have to consider what % of the donation goes to help the local despot (usually indirectly).

Here's a trick some despots use:

Despot causes a famine in his country by putting up for sale on International food markets all the food his people grow to feed themselves. People start going hungry. International charity becomes concerned that they may die of famine, so it asked despots permission to enter the country and help out. They then buy food on the International food markets (often the aforementioned food put up for sale by the despot) using charitable donations to help feed the people. Net result - the people get fed with what was their own food to begin with and the depot pockets a load of money which is used to buy arms. With this arrangement, the charity is effectively funding the despots weapons programme.

Back