Changing over to Diesel

go for the highest bhp You can afford in the turbo diesels. Better resale value!.

Not neccassey if you buy a 2.0l passat rather than the 1.9l the difference in is just over five grand due to VRT but come trade-in time a VW garage will price the 2.0l exactly the same as a 1.9l you'll get absolutely no benefit for shelling out an additional five grand.

go for the highest bhp You can afford in the turbo diesels. Better resale value!.

Not neccassey if you buy a 2.0l passat rather than the 1.9l the difference in is just over five grand due to VRT but come trade-in time a VW garage will price the 2.0l exactly the same as a 1.9l you'll get absolutely no benefit for shelling out an additional five grand.

I don't agree the 1.9 is an old tech. engine. 2.0 is up to date.

There will be a big difference in comparative resale values.

Having said that VRT is a joke.

This may all change in the budget btw. VRT and road tax may be linked to emmissions, in which case the 2.0 will be a very clear winner.

I don't agree the 1.9 is an old tech. engine. 2.0 is up to date.

There will be a big difference in comparative resale values.

I'm not disputing the superiority of the 2.0l engine over the 1.9l merely saying the that the premium you get for your 2.0l engine over the 1.9l at trade in isn't worth talking about. Walk into a VAG dealer for a price on a Jan'08 car with your 2.0TDi Passat and you'll get a fright...I have anyway.

who said anything about buying new? Buy second hand, the 2.0TDI is a quiter more refined engine and much better than the 1.9 which now are only 104bhp. the 2.0 is 140bhp. People are insane buying new and giving the government such money. People really look for the higher hp while buying second hand. The 1.9 130bhp in the passat was a great seller second hand. I would never buy a 1.9 in the newer vw group cars, never. Anyway If you really want fuel economy. the opel 1.3cdti or the fiat 1.3 multijet in the fiat punto. the 90bhp in the punto. Personally id rather drive a car with a bit more poke. My sister drives a 1.2 petrol clio and spends more on fuel than my girlfriend who drives MY audi a4 1.9tdi 130 bhp multitronic to ucd every day  I still can't understand why v.r.t is higher on diesels when they are more efficient and emit less co2 than petrol’s? Why is it still based on engine size and not c02?

....My sister drives a 1.2 petrol clio and spends more on fuel than my girlfriend who drives MY audi a4 1.9tdi 130 bhp multitronic to ucd every day ...

Clio 1.2 vs A4 1.9

Then theres the tax, insurance, depreciation etc...

€251 tax for the clio and €539 for the a4! That's well made back in fuel prices! And personally Id rather drive the a4 than a clio any day. Much better to drive and has a hell of alot more power, And still lighter on fuel. So to me the few quid extra on the a4 is worth it. The insurance to me makes no difference anyway, it's €1000 a year and no matter what I seem to drive. Depreciation is a point doing higher mileage, But again I buy 2nd hand. And the A4 will go for many more miles than the clio! The clio is crap with 84k miles the a4 drives perfect with 106,500k miles! + the clio has spent a long time off the road! And has cost my sister alot more in car rental! Maybe renaults are best avoid, or maybe every car has it's gremlins, and maybe she was just the unlucky one!

Sweeping generalisations aren't that useful.

Everythings relative. If you are doing low mileage and all urban driving, a high powered diesel doesn't make sense. If you are a rep doing 20~40k a year all over the country it makes no sense to be in a 1.0 Yaris.

well dosen't everyone know diesels are for long distance driving? I thought they did! I would keep my diesel anyway long distance or not. Anyway as I said if you want real economy, then opels 1.3 cdti or fiats 1.3 90bhp multijet. Or even a Prius! I just like the A4, I think you also have to be happy with what you drive, economy is part of it. My opinion anyways. For instance I wouldn't drive a 4.2 TDI I think that's a waste. Sure It would be fun with that much torque! But I think the 1.9tdi or 2.0tdi is more than enough and gives a good balance between power and economy.

Back