Changing car - opinions on diesel?

Nolo77 - Given that Skoda haven't announced the new price yet, what deal have you made with the dealer before ordering the new car? Have you made a deal based on the current price and will subtract the different when the new price is announced??

tosullivan - The new Price of an Octavia Elegance will be in the region of 24500. Using your depreciation model it would be worth nothing after 5 years. I would think 7 years is more realistic - but obviously it will depreciate more in the first few years. My prediction of 3.5K on average would be based on keeping the car for 3-4 years.

fwiw - avoid the 2.0 Mazda in any of it's cars like the plague. I have an 02 Mazda MPV 2.0 with the '6' engine - the RF series, 135 bhp- and the engine has gone 'pop' at 85k miles..........I'm now down 13k inside 6 months.

I've had to go back, refinance, and bought an 06 Saab 9-3 TiiD Vector Sport Estate - fabulous. With 150bhp it's more than enough, but not as light on juice as the competition (does about 38 iirc). Bought it from a dealer because I wanted a full warranty.

The mazda has it's detractors here: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=57098&m=706170#706170

Hi all,
my partner is thinking of chnging her car in the next few months. She currently drives 2002 Honda Accord 1.8 petrol, 92k miles on clock.

She will trade this in with also approx. 20,000 euros (can go slightly higher)for a new car and is leaning towards diesel if this will help lower running costs. She currently covers approx. 22k miles per annum.

The roads she covers in Kerry can be tough going at times, so she is looking to get something that will be:
a) Cheap to tax / VRT
b) Economical to run ( interms of mileage and tyres!)
c) has a bit of 'oomph' e.g 1.8 - 2ltr engine.
d) hopefully come up a few years from 2002

So far the following have caught her eye:
VW Passat
New Honda Accord
Toyota Avensis
Volovo S40
Honda CRV

Does anyone have any opinions or recommendations on the above?
I would be interested in hearing your experiences be they good or bad or any other suggestions.. thanks!

You might need 1st to determine which of the top 3 reasons for buying a car..1. What it looks like
2. How economical, and practical
3. The option some sadly prioritize, which has nothing to do with the car but what the 1st 2 characters are on the perspex number plate.

I highly reccomend for your price range a ford focus 1.6deisel. I aggree its not much to look at, I drive it in van form. It does 55 miles per gallon, is very nimble and punchy and an extremely easy and pleasing to drive. No service due till 20000klm, that would almost get you through the year. I drive 40+k a year and think it really is a worthy car. I also drive a 6 series bmw but could verge on saying the focus was better more than a few ways! It would also come in near your budget,

good luck,

Hova

Back