Changing broadband provider.

Joshua12

I decided to switch from Pulse Telecom to Eir. My contract was up on the 19th Sept. I advised them I would not be renewing and went through the usual transfer procedure. Pulse are now demanding e140 for early termination because Eir transferred on the 9th Sept. Any views on this? What does one do?

My contract was up on the 19th Sept. I advised them I would not be renewing and went through the usual transfer procedure. Pulse are now demanding e140 for early termination
You should only be charged for what's left in your contract - do you have any equipment from them for your broadband, maybe that's also being included in the €140?

Have Pulse Telecom (haven't heard of them - you sure it's not "Pure Telecom" ?) given you a breakdown in the charge?

Ring ComReg the Regulator and ask for their advice. Let your old provider know that you are referring the matter to the Regulator.

Did you specify a date post Sept. 19th to Eir? If so I'd be contacting them asking why they switched early.

If you didn't specify a date then Pure's terms are quite clear and they are entitled to charge you that. Their current contract includes a €150 charge is you cancel prior to the end of the contracted term.

For anyone else considering switching, you're always best to wait until you are outside the contracted period to initiate a switch as the telcos are notoriously poor at acting on instructions.

Hi Leo
Thanks for your reply. Pure did advise me to tell eir to transfer from 19th Sept. It was done over the phone with eir. I have nothing in writing.
Looks as if I'm screwed.
Joshua

I wouldn't be too worried.

Yes, technically you left before the end of the term but I presume you had already paid in full for the final month i.e. you had fully paid for the service provided within the minimum term so you have no further obligation to them whether you use it or not. And the error was on Eir's side for switching early, you may not have it in writing but there will be a record of your call.

As Sue Ellen has said, ring ComReg and explain your situation. Those early termination fees are there to stop consumers switching very early in a contract. Not to punish consumer who switch a few days early having already paid for the service.

But in future, Leo's advice is the best approach

For anyone else considering switching, you're always best to wait until you are outside the contracted period to initiate a switch as the telcos are notoriously poor at acting on instructions.

Thinking of trying to switch myself are Vodafone any better?

They reckon 80 MB for €30 / month including my phone which I only have for on call never dial out anyway. for the year.

I have Virgin BB is great in fairness but it is dear and the TV is shocking the box is poor the site for on demand is poor the remote is poor so thinking of changing to SKY.

Back