Carer's Leave application procedure, delays?

The Ghoul

I may have to go on carer's leave from work starting next month. My understanding of the application procedure is as follows:
-fill in the CARB1 form for carer's benefit (which is also necessary for applying for carer's leave)
-get it approved by the Dept
-notify my employer
-confirm with my employer

I have read online that there are big delays getting the CARB1 approval from the relevant Dept and that the carer's benefit payment can take a long time to come though. I don't mind a delay in payment as presumably it will be backdated. The thing I am concerned about is being in limbo in terms of the carer's leave while I wait for paperwork. I am currently on annual leave from work - if that runs out before I go on carer's leave, will I have to go back to work while I wait. That would result in a bad situation for me and the person I would be caring for.

Thanks for any pointers.

Here are the guidelines on applying for Carer's Benefit - the Department recommend advance application time of 10 weeks. Your employer completes part of the application form, so you will need to discuss the leave before your application is made

Back