Car stolen - should I claim?

House2020

Unfortunately our car was stolen out of our driveway yesterday. Fairly old car I’d say valued at less than 500 euro - but still driving very well so it’s a bit loss to us practically.

Our car insurance has no claims etc. Can I report it as stolen to the insurance company and see how much our insurance would go up before deciding to claim or do I have to claim?

incredibly stupid but I think the nct cert, car logbook thing we’re in the glovebox. We’d forgoton to take them out after the last nct.

Report it to your local police station then give it a couple of days during which i'd imagine it might be "located". Plan B could then kick in

What is the excess on your policy? It's possible that they've give you nothing if you've an excess.

But even if not claiming, you might still have a responsibility to report it stolen to insurer.

I assume you've already reported to Gardai?

Report it to your insurance company anyhow to comply with policy conditions.
Reporting it does not mean that you have to proceed with a claim for the theft.

+1 reporting to Gardaí as the thief is now in possession of the log book and that is very handy for a quick sale by way of conversion of your property.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. Car was stolen from my drive. No logbook or anything in it, the car was just stolen.

Report it stolen asap. If anything happens, you will get the blame — speeding tickets, tolls or worse.

You can tell the insurance company. I told them and never claimed as I would have paid 600€ in excess and gotten 200€ off them. It did not affect my new quotes for a different car as I did not make a claim.

Back