Car Service experience

Kelmar

I drive a 2003 Audi A4 and have it serviced regulary by the main dealer that I origninally bought the car from. A few weeks ago I had the car serviced (at a cost of around €300) but less than 2000 miles later I have had the following problems;
*the clutch has gone (cost to replace €1600),- I had told the service centre that the clutch had been loose for some time (not sure if this could have made any difference or if this is just expected wear and tear)
*the oil light has come on indicating I need to add oil (after less than 2000 miles since the last service!);
*the brake pad warning light has come on indicating I need to replace some pads!
* On Friday last at 5pm it stopped dead on the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway with some kind of battery or alternator problem. I rang my service centre but they said they could not look at the car for a few days as they were too busy. Needless to say I told them where to get off and had the car towed to another garage.
* In the service book it indicates the timing belt should be replaced at 60k miles. I had the car serviced at 57k miles with the next one due at 75k but they did not replace the belt, leaving me exposed to the possibility of breaking down and being stranded again.

I accept some of the problems I have experienced are normal wear and tear on a 4 year old car but I do feel very unhappy at how much I have been charged and how little real service I am getting. When I contacted the Service Manager he offered to give me an oil top up at no charge!!!

I would appreciate the views of others and advice on what I can do about it.

if you paid 1600 euro for a clutch on a a4 you were shafted well and good maybe even twice over

Time to change your dealer - sounds like the current crowd aren't sufficiently interested in your ongoing custom.

I Have been servicing my car at the dealer I bought it from new for nearly 9years and at each service, they give me a comprehensive rundown of why they replaced certain items and, printed on the statement of work done sheet, they point out any issues that they've come across and which are outside the normal run of a service. I normally get a verbal indication of how many more miles I can expect before I need to do any out-of-turn work.

They haven't got it right 100% of the time (who could), but am v.pleased with the level of attention they pay to the car, which is a v.high mile vehicle and which has never let me down.

I wouldn't think of going elsewhere, though once it's more than 10years old and if it needs major overhaul work, the sheer cost compared to the worth of the car might cause me to look somewhere other than the dealer, but this will be for purely financial reasons.

That dealer is taking you for a ride
Clutch: These don't fail overnight there are typically penty of symptoms which show a clutch is on its last legs and would be uncovered by a mechanic taking the car on a test run after each service. This should have been flagged as an area needing attention.
Brakes: Again no excuse from gargae checking the thickness of all break pads it a basis part of any service major or minor. If pads are low customer should be informed and given the opportunity to have them changed as part of the service.
Oil: Another screw up from the garage dipstick level should be checked post the oil fill. Unless your car burns a large amount of oil I can see how it would require a top up so soon after a service.
Timing belt: No entirely their fault however I good garage would flag this as a body of work which needs to be done at 60k miles.
As for the price of the clutch it seem a little on the highside...I'd walk way from these guys (name isn't three letter long is it?). If you want you timing belt changed go to a Seat/Skoda dealer and get a price their VAG brands and will be familar with working on VAG engines they'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than the audi dealer.

Matt Cooper had a guy on his show yesterday who was quoted €400 for a service. which didn't include , brake pads, wipers, washer refill etc . All the €400 covered was oil change. total cost of the service came to just under €900. You guys are definitely being shafted. got a 4 year old corolla serviced with a toyota main dealer last year for €170. included - replacing dip headlight and focusing for ntc. wiper blades, new front number plate, washer refill and they even washed the car and offered me a lift into town.

Thanks everyone for input.

Hotbot - the dealer's name does have 3 letters and I have been hearing some bad stories from others on the quality and price of their work.

Time to change your dealer - sounds like the current crowd aren't sufficiently interested in your ongoing custom.

I Have been servicing my car at the dealer I bought it from new for nearly 9years and at each service, they give me a comprehensive rundown of why they replaced certain items and, printed on the statement of work done sheet, they point out any issues that they've come across and which are outside the normal run of a service. I normally get a verbal indication of how many more miles I can expect before I need to do any out-of-turn work.

They haven't got it right 100% of the time (who could), but am v.pleased with the level of attention they pay to the car, which is a v.high mile vehicle and which has never let me down.

I wouldn't think of going elsewhere, though once it's more than 10years old and if it needs major overhaul work, the sheer cost compared to the worth of the car might cause me to look somewhere other than the dealer, but this will be for purely financial reasons.

Any chance you'd name them?

Of course, what we all really want to hear is the name of the OP's garage, but I guess that might be a bit problematic.

A good main dealer is always worth hearing about, though.

If it's who I think it is, the OP has my sympathies.

On reflection, I'd actually be more interested in hearing the name of the recommended service dealer.

If its the 3 letter people beginning with the "M", I have also heard bad reports on the sales front certainly.
A good friend of mine had bought a new car (medium family sized variant of the same brand) every 3 years with the same group and last year when due for his 3 year change he thought about moving up in size on the same brand of car. When speaking to the dealer/sales person regarding his intention he was asked was he sure he could handle the upgrade. Needless to say he went elsewhere and got a better deal anyway.

Size doesn't always count in the case of the motor dealer - for once anyone.

I have had my car serviced by a mobile car servicing business which suited me down to the ground. They came out and serviced the car in my driveway. Very professional and very clean (and reasonable). Well worth recommending. Mobile Auto Service 1890 220 220. I found them on the internet www.mobileautoservice.ie

I have had my car serviced by a mobile car servicing business which suited me down to the ground. They came out and serviced the car in my driveway. Very professional and very clean (and reasonable). Well worth recommending. Mobile Auto Service 1890 220 220. I found them on the internet www.mobileautoservice.ie

Duntes, in line with the Askaboutmoney posting regulations, can you confirm whether or not you have any connection with this company?

Have to say its a pain finding a guy to service a car that convenient. So having a mobile service, is a great idea.

Back