Car-parking issue with neighbours

I don’t think that’s the way to go Firefly.

If Leper put a sticker on my car I would be straight down to the local Garda to report him for interfering with and damaging my car.

That's interesting..is it legal or not to put a sticker on a car? And, having had a sticker placed on your car would you park there again?

No legal expertise whatsoever but would be surprised if it was legal for a resident to put a sticker on my car while parked on a public road, that might or might not be different while parked on private property.

Leper has said;

’They are not doing anything illegal and are entitled to use the road for the no cost parking’’

In these circumstances, I think putting stickers on cars would not deter parking, for many it would make them more determined to park there.

Isn't the question concerning respect, for me a polite sticker causes no harm and suggesting bothering the already stretched Garda service with this is ridiculous, a sticker will cause no damage if placed with Pritt on the side window.

I would not park my car in an area where I should not be parking, whether I can legally or otherwise and in the event I was dim and say was parking in a residential estate for hours whilst I ran some errands with designated parking nearby then a polite notice would point me the right way.

I see your point but if someone was continually parking outside my house I would start putting stickers on the window. Maybe on one of them I might ask them if they would like someone parking outside their house. I realise it might be legal to park there, but doesn't mean it's right. The "Golden Rule" and all that..

Isn't the question concerning respect, for me a polite sticker causes no harm and suggesting bothering the already stretched Garda service with this is ridiculous, a sticker will cause no damage if placed with Pritt on the side window.

For the first one maaaybe, but a repeat offender...I'd be getting that really sticky stuff!

But one is not an offender if legally parked.

It would be wrong of you to interfere with that car.

For the record, I live on a side road very near a church, school and bus corridor, so constantly have people parking outside my house.

I would prefer if they parked elsewhere, but they are entitled to park outside my house.

For the record, I live on a side road very near a church, school and bus corridor, so constantly have people parking outside my house.

I would prefer if they parked elsewhere, but they are entitled to park outside my house.

Fair play to you. If it were I doubt if I could restrain myself! As I work from home sometimes it could be a "fag break" !

Repeat Parkers outside your house after a polite sticky notice on the window are Dicks, gimme the really sticky messy goo for sticker number two.

I don’t think that’s the way to go Firefly.

If Leper put a sticker on my car I would be straight down to the local Garda to report him for interfering with and damaging my car.

While I wouldn't put a sticker on anybody's car . . . . I can only imagine Twofor1 arriving at a Garda Station and the duty officer just after hearing his complaint, rolling his eyes heavenwards and informing him that the Garda Armed Response Unit is on it's way to the scene of the dreadful crime. Gunfight at the Leper Coral!!!!!!! and of course wasting the taxpayers money.

Sorry Firefly, I understand the fair play bit, but after that I'm lost.

Sorry, having re-read my post it wasn't very clear. If someone continually parked outside my house I doubt if I could refrain from attaching a sticker. Probably a Prit the first time but then something a lot stickier. As I work from home sometimes I would do it on a "fag" break to get me out of the house.

gimme the really sticky messy goo for sticker number two.

I can only imagine Twofor1 arriving at a Garda Station and the duty officer just after hearing his complaint, rolling his eyes heavenwards and informing him that the Garda Armed Response Unit is on it's way to the scene of the dreadful crime.

Probably a Prit the first time but then something a lot stickier.

Palerider & Firefly, to me this would be intimidation, and probably vandalism or some similar offence.

Leper, I would not expect the ERU be sent out but would be surprised if the local Garda did not investigate such a complaint.

Bear in mind, we are talking about legally parked cars on a public road. No resident has a right to interfere with a car by placing messy and hard to remove stickers on it.

I can't get my head around someone having a problem with people parking outside their house in principle. It's none of their business, it's a public road. And to actually go beyond it bothering you, and thinking you have a right to put a sticker asking someone not to park there, on a public road....the mind boggles with some people.

Last edited:
I can't get my head around someone having a problem with people parking outside their house in principle. It's none of their business, it's a public road. And to actually go beyond it bothering you, and thinking you have a right to put a sticker asking someone not to park there, on a public road....the mind boggles with some people.

I'd agree, but to be fair to the OP, they were talking about cars which had been effectively abandoned, thus removing the space for parking by anyone.

Yes, true and that to me is fair & reasonable. Its subsequent contributions I am referring to, i.e. having issues with people parking in front of their house in principle.

Yes, true and that to me is fair & reasonable. Its subsequent contributions I am referring to, i.e. having issues with people parking in front of their house in principle.

I would have an issue with someone repeatedly parking in front of my house (even if it was a public road). Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. I would bet that the person parking their car wouldn't like someone to park outside their house either. Anyways, it doesn't affect me so that's all I'll say on it.

Leper, . . . . but would be surprised if the local Garda did not investigate such a complaint.

Bear in mind, we are talking about legally parked cars on a public road. No resident has a right to interfere with a car by placing messy and hard to remove stickers on it.

The gardaí don't breathalyse enough people and when they do they lie and you think they will go after somebody who put a sticker on a car. I don't think so . . .

I would have an issue with someone repeatedly parking in front of my house (even if it was a public road). Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. I would bet that the person parking their car wouldn't like someone to park outside their house either. Anyways, it doesn't affect me so that's all I'll say on it.

I just don't understand that. I can't understand what you mean my it not being "right". I don't believe that the vast majority of right thinking people would think like that, I certainly hope that they don't as I think it would reflect very poorly on them.

Where I live can be tricky to find a spot, terraced houses with parking on only one side of road mostly. We're one of the few people with a short driveway, so we park one car in the drive, one across it. Only the smaller car fits in driveway. This can be a pain, it means if small car is leaving first you have to move big car, then move it back. If small car is home second, we have to move big car to let small car into driveway. We also have to move little car out of driveway, hence big car first, to get bikes out of shed, bikes are used every day. Its a bit of a pain but we do this to make sure that there are as many spaces for everyone as possible. The net effect is that someone is always parked in front of our house, about three metres from my front window. I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet, the point is this - for us, this seems like the "right" thing to do.

I lived in a town home for many years and never had an issue with street parking about three metres from our sitting room, a residential estate is in my opinion different than a town setting where people are jammed together and parking like you describe is actually a fact of life in a very built up area, in leafy land where neighbours have two spaces you can get the rogue Parkers avoiding pay parking even when that pay parking is within sight of where they leave their vehicle.

Last edited:
Back