Car Insurance loading per housing estate

Jordan Belfort

I have found that my estate seems to load motor insurance quotes by approx 60% compared to other estates in the town. I did this by re-quoteing with exact same data except a substituting a different eircode to build up a picture of the quote differences.

I even found that by using an eircode in the estate across the road reduces quotes from €1000 to maybe €600.

This is on 123.ie and Aviva. Not sure about others ?

Is this "estate level" loading common ?
Why might it be done? It's not like my estate is higher risk or anything that I can think of ?
How should I go about getting it explained and corrected ?
Does an regulatory body have oversight here ?

Certainly happens to towns anyway, my daughter's insurance dropped 100 a year when she moved! No logical reason either, if anything I'd say the town she's in now is a bit less safe car wise but it's a smaller town if that is part of the criteria they use.

Never knew it was as specific as addresses within towns though.

Certainly happens to towns anyway, my daughter's insurance dropped 100 a year when she moved! No logical reason either, if anything I'd say the town she's in now is a bit less safe car wise but it's a smaller town if that is part of the criteria they use.

Never knew it was as specific as addresses within towns though.
Same as, knew it could be different based on rural/town/city but was not expecting it to discriminate at this level of estates, possibly even house numbers

I've noticed this too in the past, there was a variance between house numbers in an estate too, maybe it had to do with the proximity to the road?
I put the wrong address in and noticed a drop in price!

I live with my parents at weekends but during the week I rent a detached house . When my renewal is due, is it necessary to change my address to the where I live during the week. Is this an important issue.

I live with my parents at weekends but during the week I rent a detached house . When my renewal is due, is it necessary to change my address to the where I live during the week. Is this an important issue.

If you want to be clever and use whichever one has the cheapest quote.
But really you should use the address where the car is ordinarily parked which to me is the rental house. If you don't specify the rental hose as your risk address & if your car is damaged or stolen from the rental house, the insurance company could ask awkward questions.

I've noticed this too in the past, there was a variance between house numbers in an estate too, maybe it had to do with the proximity to the road?
I put the wrong address in and noticed a drop in price!
If you want to be clever and use whichever one has the cheapest quote.
But really you should use the address where the car is ordinarily parked which to me is the rental house. If you don't specify the rental hose as your risk address & if your car is damaged or stolen from the rental house, the insurance company could ask awkward questions.
Thanks Odyssey. The rented house would increase the premium by at least €100. I would have it parked inside the gate in the rented house. It's not in an estate... so that's why I just hate paying €100 extra.

Back