Car hire in US

Hi! If you are looking to rent in the US try and use a US based website as the prices are much cheaper..you are probably looking at about 500$ for a 2 week rental including the usual LDW etc.. and drop off fee. Interestingly, you can get thte same price with a French based website..in fact any other website that isn't in either the Irish or UK market as for some reason these are all priced higher than the French. Check out www.hertz.fr where you will get a rate of 460.00euro all in for a Ford Focus for 2 weeks on a prepaid rate. If you have any memberships ie AA or MBNA credit card you can avail of special rates in Ireland call 01 6767476 and ask for Triona who I usually deal with..even if you don't have the memberships say you do...they never check! Try Hetz.com or national.com for US based companies..let me know how you get on!

Well theory still holds the same..about 140.00euro before discounts for a 48 hr rental midweek ttc or 160$ and this is midweek..normally great deals are available a wekend rental!

My car hire rental agreement includes Third party liability insurance, theft waiver insurance insurance and CDW insurance for my trip to the US.

What does all this mean in the event that

(a) I am involved in a accident for which I am responsible
or
(b) I am involved in an accident for which I am not responsible

Does my car insurance here in Ireland come into play at all?

Grateful for any help on this one.

There is usually a big excess you have to pay, if you don't take the extra insurance.

If you are in an accident they will charge you the excess even if you are not at fault. You would get the money back once the insureres sorted out the mess.

It does not affect you Irish car insurance at all.

Back