Car for sale on side of road: illegal?

Squonk

I was thinking of placing my car on the side of a road with a big "For Sale" sign on it. However, a friend tells me that this is now 'illegal' because such activity was causing accidents etc with drivers slowing down to read the sign. Does this law really exist?

hi, dunno if that law exists. Around my area i still see quite alot of cars for sale on side of the road. sorry not of any help to you.

As far as I'm aware, there was talk a few months ago about making this illegal but no laws have been passed yet

i have sold 2 cars by doing that,a garda came to test drive one last year and never mentioned a word about it,sometimes they dont bother

I was thinking of placing my car on the side of a road with a big "For Sale" sign on it. However, a friend tells me that this is now 'illegal' because such activity was causing accidents etc with drivers slowing down to read the sign. Does this law really exist?

If that was the case all street advertising and attractive ladies should be banned from the side of the road!

I have sold a few cars like that and i'm just over the road from a garda station so you should be ok.

There was talk about making roadside selling of cars illegal, because some cars weren't actually for sale - particularly the modified cars which might be seen from time to time. Apparently the story goes that interested parties phoning the number shown on modified cars were actually making arrangements for "road races" or meets with other modified cars....so to cut this out, the suggestion was to outlaw roadside selling!

...sold my car in two days by having it (legally!) on the side of the road....thanks all.

There was talk about making roadside selling of cars illegal, because some cars weren't actually for sale - particularly the modified cars which might be seen from time to time. Apparently the story goes that interested parties phoning the number shown on modified cars were actually making arrangements for "road races" or meets with other modified cars....so to cut this out, the suggestion was to outlaw roadside selling!
I was often wondering why people with modified cars drove them with for sale signs on them normally a person would take down the sign if they needed to use the car. You just answered that question for me.

It is illegal to place a car for sale on the side of the road in Co Wexford only as far as I know, I don't think it has come into effect in any other county, but it definitely not allowed in Wexford, The co council will lift any car immediately that it finds on the side of the road and impound it.

Another problem with Cars for Sale is the parking issue. Where I live we have a hammerhead at the end of our service road and at weekends it becomes like a garage forecourt leaving it impossible for delivery trucks & taxis (ie: MIni-Buses) to turn around. They end up reversing back up our road which in itself is dangerous. County Council not interested in doing anything about it.

that was the biggest load of rubbish I ever heard of in my life !!! Do people not think that "for sale" stickers are put on "modified" cars to actually sell them? Ah yeah, a reliable member of our community comes out and says that "boy racers" are using for sale signs with phone numbers on them to arrange races and everybody believes this crap..

sorry guys, I think you need to wake up

I was often wondering why people with modified cars drove them with for sale signs on them normally a person would take down the sign if they needed to use the car. You just answered that question for me.

If you were trying to sell your car what is the point in removing the FOR SALE stickers if your driving it? surely more people would see that the car is for sale while its been driven... Taking down the "for sale" sign would be stupid if you really wanted to sell it.

I think it depends on the locality, I was told recently by co council in offaly that a car on council property had to be moved or they would tow it. since car was sold for less than €500 and would not be worth the fees to get back we promptly moved it.

I think it applies if cars are left on council property for more than a certain time limit, no idea how long it is though

that was the biggest load of rubbish I ever heard of in my life !!! Do people not think that "for sale" stickers are put on "modified" cars to actually sell them? Ah yeah, a reliable member of our community comes out and says that "boy racers" are using for sale signs with phone numbers on them to arrange races and everybody believes this crap..

sorry guys, I think you need to wake up

Maybe Ronan C you should phone some of the numbers on these cars for sale amd you might learn something.

OH sold her car this way in the past month. see lots of other cars 'advertised' this way locally too.

A friend of mine parked his car on the side of a main road 500 yards away from his house he got a phone call about the car before he got back to his house and ended up selling it on the spot.

Back