Car Finance - What are the better car loans out there? KBC seem one of the lowest

A car loan is just an unsecured personal loan. KBC (if you've a current account) and AvantCard, or An Post are probably the best rates available currently.

But you'll get better rates if you can finance via HP - the car is security as you don't own it until you make the final repayment. Not an option if buying car privately.

btw some lenders (e.g. Credit union) distinguish between car loan (proof from dealer needed) and personal loan (when buying from a private seller). the difference is the interest you are paying. not sure if applicable to the 3 mentioned above.

Personally, i’d choose a Credit Union loan, as it is unique in offering flexibility on repayments. You can pay it off faster if you wish, and they tend to be flexible if you need an extension, or reduce payments. You will not get this with any banks.

Some Credit Unions, give some form of interest rebate as well, which may offset, the higher interest rates some credit unions charge.

I would stay well clear of PCP.

Personally, i’d choose a Credit Union loan, as it is unique in offering flexibility on repayments. You can pay it off faster if you wish, and they tend to be flexible if you need an extension, or reduce payments. You will not get this with any banks
With respect, that's one of the greatest pieces of misinformation that's continuously peddled by Credit Unions.

You can repay a personal loan with any bank as early as you want, either by overpayment or repaying in full.

With respect, that's one of the greatest pieces of misinformation that's continuously peddled by Credit Unions.

You can repay a personal loan with any bank as early as you want, either by overpayment or repaying in full.

Even if it's fixed term ? Would a bank have a reducing interest rate on the lower balance of loan also ?

Even if it's fixed term ?
Yes. Your rights to repay early are protected in legislation.
A fee can only be applied if it's both a fixed interest rate loan, and you repay more than 10,000 early in a 12 month period.

Would a bank have a reducing interest rate on the lower balance of loan also ?
I don't understand the question? Why would the rate be lower?

Yes. Your rights to repay early are protected in legislation.
A fee can only be applied if it's both a fixed interest rate loan, and you repay more than 10,000 early in a 12 month period.

I don't understand the question? Why would the rate be lower?

The interest would be lower on the lower balance owed in theory

Yes, you can repay a bank loan early, but what you cannot do with a bank loan, but you can do with a credit union loan, is make additional payments, whenever you want, and that is the flexibility I am referring to. If you have extra cashflow, pay off more, and if you have issues repaying, you will find them flexible.

Not an a regular "ad hoc" basis. With a CU loan, you can do this at your whim, not the banks, no paperwork. Just walk in and overpay.
This thread is suggestions on car loan options, and there are many, and important to point out the various flexibilities, and pros & cons, of all various options.

Not an a regular "ad hoc" basis. With a CU loan, you can do this at your whim, not the banks, no paperwork. Just walk in and overpay.
This thread is suggestions on car loan options, and there are many, and important to point out the various flexibilities, and pros & cons, of all various options.
Not sure you are correct there. I just cleared a BOI loan, made regular additional payments without issue and cleared the loan in 3 years rather than the contractual 5. Banks will not refuse money. My additional payments were much ad-hoc and depended on surplus cash at the end of each month

Not sure you are correct there. I just cleared a BOI loan, made regular additional payments without issue and cleared the loan in 3 years rather than the contractual 5. Banks will not refuse money. My additional payments were much ad-hoc and depended on surplus cash at the end of each month

Where the additional payments the same amount each month ? Did you pay less interest than set out in the loan agreement/contract ?

Where the additional payments the same amount each month ? Did you pay less interest than set out in the loan agreement/contract ?
Payments varied from month to month depending on surplus cash available. Interest was applied quarterly throughout the term of the loan on outstanding balance. As the balance decreased so did the interest charged. Don’t have exact figures to hand just now, but can dig them out.

Back