Car Damage and Responsibility

random2011

A couple of days ago my wife’s car was hit whilst parked at her place of work by an external services company. The driver got out of his van and saw the damage before walking away. The entire thing was captured on CCTV from her place of work. Looking for advise on where we stand. She has contacted the company and awaiting their response.She has also contacted the Gardai.

I'm not sure the Guards will be interested if it happened on private property. She must inform her insurers giving them reg. no. company name etc. Get a claim reference number - make clear she is not claiming from her own insurance.

If she wants to get a response from the van owners, give them the claim number and the claims handler's phone number. The transport or logistics manager is the person to contact.

Thanks.The camera didn’t pick up the reg but it was a company who visits very regularly. This happened at her place of work which is a public service. Also the guards are interested and have said they will take a statement as the person left the scene without reporting it. Apparently that’s an offence

Last edited:
Leaving the scene of an accident is an offence. Is there any other identifying mark on the van. Large fleet operators frequently have unique vehicle identifiers painted on the body work. Get a copy of her Garda statement and submit it with her accident report to her insurer.

Name of the company is on the truck. It’s 100% clear who the company is.The face of the driver is also very clear

You will find the Garda will chase this up in the event the driver/company do not admit liability and do the right thing.

I had a similar but minor enough issue, I got the car registration and reported it, a patrol car was sent out a few days after to their home...apparently much embarrassment, they coughed up after I produced a receipt for the repair.

At least two months passed and the Garda I reported it to called me out of the blue to see if I got sorted, he told me he was going to prosecute if the repair was not paid for.

Great to have the cctv, suggest you record it to have it on your phone.

Given what's going on in the country at present its pretty insignificant but I'd simply like to resolve it. Hopefully it works out.

I was involved in a similar but very minor incident last year while parked in a motorway service station. An SUV with a tow ball reversed and hit my car quite hard. I was inside and was startled. The driver saw me get out of the car to check for damage and drove away. I was too slow to react and couldn't take the plate number.

When I called the guards they took it quite seriously: A member drove to where I was, said it was a "hit and run" and went to ask for CCTV footage. They followed up and we exchanged a few phone calls. The garda said that if they found out who the driver was that they would make a phone call and ask for any damages to be paid before pressing charges.

Unfortunately the cameras in the area where so dirty that they couldn't even tell the make of the car.

Did they pay up in the end? Was the driver prosecuted?

No and no. The damage was tiny and superficial to my number plate. I actually didn't get it fixed. Also they couldn't see the make of the car in the footage, never mind the number plate!

No and no. The damage was tiny and superficial to my number plate. I actually didn't get it fixed. Also they couldn't see the make of the car in the footage, never mind the number plate!

Yes, apologies. I read your message a second time and understood. Glad it was minor but the neck on some people who think its ok to walk away.

Yes, apologies. I read your message a second time and understood. Glad it was minor but the neck on some people who think its ok to walk away.
No worries. The main reason I rang the gards was the lack of regard. If she had stopped and showed some concern I most probably would have let it go as I was let get away with it on a previous occasion (I stopped, asked and apologised).

You can identify the company, so contact them, and ask for insurance details. It's then up to them to identify their employer, and decide what to do.

Back