Car adverts - why are they allowed to quote an unrealistic price?

I note the distinction. The point, however is that the collusion amounted to a distortion of competition that affected consumers.

Establishing a recommended price (to include delivery) that could be subject to negotiation is not, by itself, a breach of competition law.

So what if the average price now is €250 and tomorrow the adverts include a recommended charge of €1'250?

My point is that there could be a single quoted price that takes account of what the delivery charge is likely to be. There's no requirement to list third party charges separately and there would be nothing stopping the retailer from applying the €1000 saving at the point of sale.

As for varying costs between retailers, if the costs incurred by any particular retailer in the acquisition of a car are, say, €1000 less than those of his competitors, he's clearly in a better position to offer substantial discounts.

At the moment, customers have no idea of the variance in charges that may apply.

They could use the telephone and just ask...

If the telephone is to be the primary means by which the real price of anything is to be established, why advertise the price in the first place if it alludes only to part of the price?

Advertisements for bars of chocloate, for example, either have the full price clearly stated or don't have any reference to the price at all. Applying the logic of car retailers, they might perhaps say "75 cents plus taking-it-out-of-the-box-and-sticking-it-on-the-shelf charge".

Perhaps it could be accompanied with a disclaimer to the effect that given the range of costs associated with taking-it-out-of-the-box-and-sticking-it-on-the-shelf, it would be impossible to say in advance what the actual retail price of the chocolate might be.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ryanair and think they offer outstanding value, especially if you operate within the rules.

Slightly getting away from the original post but recently Michael O'Leary acknowledged that Ryanair's bad press is his own fault. He also said he hopes that in a few years, when he retires, the company's image will improve.

Mpsox; . From people I know in the trade, plenty of room for negotiation

This is the thing I hate about particular trades. The "if you know the right people" or "in the business we'll look after you". Where does that leave the average Joe or Josephine who might buy a new car once every 5 years or so? They have no particular insider knowledge or contacts to access these great offers that apparently are on offer. We end up paying the price the dealers ask for and then you always meet someone who tells you they bought it for a lot less.:(

Slightly getting away from the original post but recently Michael O'Leary acknowledged that Ryanair's bad press is his own fault. He also said he hopes that in a few years, when he retires, the company's image will improve.

I think what he said was that when the cost-cutting agenda is complete (i.e. when they've pared things to the bone), Ryanair will seek to address their image as the next means of increasing business. He readily admits that this isn't the job for him!

Back