Key Post Capital Gains Tax on sale of shares

jodonova

Yes, you pay no CGT in 2015 and you carry no loss in 2016.

Just to check - if this is/was a trading operation to generate an income rather than a capital investment (given the number of trades) this may be viewed as income tax chargeable?
Thanks Rob - not quite sure what you mean by trading operation - I was just trading crypto as an individual, if that's what you mean?

Last edited:

jacques28

I bought shares in a company just a couple of weeks ago and am now sitting on a loss . I'm wondering If you sell the shares after such a brief period are they still eligible to offset future capital gains?

I have only had them for the 2 weeks. I have read threads on this site about a 4 week rule regarding the disposal of shares which I found confusing.

I have no intention of buying the same stock in future and would sell all of them now and be done with it. Does anyone know if selling before 4 weeks would rule out capital loss offsetting?

jodonova

Trading is the key here. You weren't 'investing'. It falls under a different tax head; income tax rather than CGT.
You need to get a professional tax advisor to look at the specific facts of your case.
Thanks RedOnion.

Can anybody recommend any good crypto tax return software that revenue would accept, for example https://koinly.io/ or any good accountants? If accountants, how much should I expect to pay? I need to complete my Form 11 returns and document some losses for 2018/19.