Health Insurance Can't upgrade Public Plus Care Plan policy with VHI

Silvergirl

We have very basic Vhi policy PublicPlus Care plan, which tbh covers barely anything but costs very little. I want to upgrade our policy and contacted VHI to do so, however, they won't until next May at renewal date. Can I go to another company and forfeit the remainder of our current policy?

I'm aware that there are waiting times of 26 weeks for additional cover and would have been willing to stay with VHI and for that to start now than wait until next May, and then wait the 26 weeks for additional cover. I'm 45, husband is 48, kids: 13, 11, 6, 4.

We don't currently have any underlying health issues (that we are aware of) however my doc did recommend an endoscopy for me for suspected reflux which is fairly minor.

Laya's private hosp's appear to be in Dublin (Mater Private Dublin and Beacon covered) - we live in Cork, no idea of Irish Life. We want to up our cover to a decent level and prob keep kids at a fairly basic cover level, without waiting a year for this to kick in.

Don't know about the updating but I had a similar test recently covered by Laya, doc was in Private Consultants Clinic in CUH, could have had test done either there or in Mallow, I opted for Mallow as closer to me however I'm sure I'm covered for Bons in Cork too but chose consultant in CUH this time. I'm on Laya Simply Connect I think

With vhi, if you changed your cover to a higher level its a 2 year upgrade. Not 26 weeks as you've mentioned.

The 26 weeks comes into play for day to day benefits if you are over 50.

Last edited:
Back