Buying US Dollars

J

Jane

Hi all,

I wasn't sure to post this in any of the money forums or here, but decided here as it is to do with travel !

I'm going to the states next month & want to order some Dollars. Two questions:

Who generally offers the best rate?
Is it better to wait nearer the time (Beginning of Dec) or buy now? - It seems the rates have being going in our favour over the last while & I'm wondering should I hang on?

Thanks for any advice.
Jane

Buying Dollars

Would seem a good time to buy now, if you wait then it;s up to you, but based on simple trends it should fall back a little, and then there's the election-which will definitely inpact the rate.

My hunch is if Kerry wins, the dollar will get stronger, but then, I am only a painter!

Re: Buying Dollars

Hi Jane - Shop around by phone for the best rate. Make sure the rates they quote you include all fees, commissions & charges.

No-one really knows where the dollar is going. There are teams of professions whose sole job is to predict these markets, and they don't know either.

Dollar

Hi,

In my experience the banks never have USD in Stock and you have to order them in and you pay the rate on the day - be assured you'll be robbed by the banks regardless !!. The order in period is usually about a week or less.

Re: Dollar

With Bush re-elected I would expect the dollar to weaken so it might be worth while waiting to get them?

And indeed it has, by 3% over the lsat week

Dan or anyone, is there a website where you can track historical rates? Be thankful if anyone can post that here.

Jane

Nearly 1.29 today (IEP/USD in old money 1.6380!), good time to be going. Be careful of customs coming back. I hear they are checking peoples luggage to see what NEW electrical items, clothes etc have been bought and then charging VAT on the purchases!

If you are taking back clothes etc, be sure to take all the labels off. How can they be proved new ?

How can they be proved new ?
As far as I know, they don't have to prove that you bought the clothes abroad. You have to prove (if challenged) that you didn't.

Has this actually happened on a regular basis?

It seems highly unethical.

Imagine what would our tourist industry would do if our visitors stopped buying souvenirs in Ireland for fear of getting taxed in their own country.

Over to you Rainyday.....

Has this actually happened on a regular basis?
No idea - though I did hear a Revenue guy on the radio issuing a little warning to those heading over to NY for their shopping.
It seems highly unethical.
Quite the opposite - That's the law. It is highly ethical to enforce the law evenly & fairly. [If you reckon it is a bad law, then work to get it changed]
Imagine what would our tourist industry would do if our visitors stopped buying souvenirs in Ireland for fear of getting taxed in their own country.
Imagine what will happen to our own retail industry and our indirect tax revenues if they have to compete with VAT-free imports.

As far as I know, they don't have to prove that you bought the clothes abroad. You have to prove (if challenged) that you didn't.

Seems a tad odd. Surely they can't expect you to be able to produce receipts from clothes you supposedly bought over here before going. Who carries receipts around for that long?!! I'd imagine once they can't prove that you bought the goods over there, that will be enough.

Back