Buying Golden Retriever Puppy

That is a shocking statistic on their website that:

"Every year in Ireland, between 24,000 and 30,000 healthy dogs are destroyed; this is 10 times the number destroyed in the whole of the UK!"

I love animals but growing up we never had one as we lived in a suburban estate & both my parent originally came from farms so did not think it was suitable.

I will defo read the details on their website and enquire if we could get our golden retriever from them or another rescue centre, also not sure if they charge for this but if not then we can donate what we had planned to pay for one to them.

Thanks for the link, I will read it now.

www.irishanimals.ie and ash animal rescue call the2 last ones and have a chat

you ca leave details of what you are looking for and who knows!

we got our 2 dogs ( including a pure bred lab ) from animal rescue places

We lost our golden retriever last year, 4years old at the time. We considered getting another puppy but couldn't take time off to train the dog so we then considered the local SPCA pound looking for an older dog (not a pup). We went along, fell in love with a lovely mutt and agreed on a date to have SPCA inspectors come out and check our property/surroundings where the dog would be. We live in a detached bungalow in the country on 1/2 acre with secure perimeter. However, on the day of inspection we were told that due to the traumatic circumstances that our 'new dog' came from she would insist on us making provision for the dog to live in-doors. We disagreed, Ms Igloo got upset, the inspector was asked to leave and we didn't take the dog from them in the end...

Well if the dog was traumatised, it sounds as if the inspector was making provisions for the dog's best interests. I'm not sure I understand the reason for a disagreement??

Reason for disagreement was on the principle of where the dog would be housed. We have 2 small children under 3 so hygiene was a factor too.. It would have been easier if the housing issue had been mentioned when we arranged for the inspector to visit. :-(

***Reason for disagreement was on the principle of where the dog would be housed. We have 2 small children under 3 so hygiene was a factor too.. It would have been easier if the housing issue had been mentioned when we arranged for the inspector to visit. :-(***

Surely that is the point of an inspection....!?! I agree with what you say about children under 3...Their hygiene does leave a lot to be desired..:rolleyes:

>>Surely that is the point of an inspection....!?!

You're missing my point. Why didn't they tell us that the dog would need to be housed indoors at the time were were arranging for the visit, instead of wasting everyones time! So much for good intentions..

Sorry to hear of your bad experience re inspector. Did you ask if they had any other dog that might be more suitable for your family. I have two dogs that I got from an animal rescue shelter. One I have 10 years and he lives in the garage and has a large garden all to himself. He is a rough collie and is a very big dog. I have a smaller dog that lives in the house. We have her 8 years. We didn't have any inspection before we got them but I suppose things have changed since we got our dogs. I would say to anyone considering getting a dog to think of the rescue dogs before you go spending alot of money on a dog. You will have to pay a fee to the shelter but it is quiet small considering that the dog will have been checked out by a vet.

Back