Buying BMW 320D in the UK.. Further Advice Needed ASAP..

The RAC will visit where ever you want. You do not need to be there. I got a check done ahead of me going over to view the car. The guy did his test about 2 days after i phoned and he phoned me immediately after he viewed it with a verbal report. The actual report was fax the next day. Amazing service.

The RAC will visit where ever you want. You do not need to be there. I got a check done ahead of me going over to view the car. The guy did his test about 2 days after i phoned and he phoned me immediately after he viewed it with a verbal report. The actual report was fax the next day. Amazing service.

Thats good to Know, Thanks tufty1. Ive just looked on their website and the RAC offer an "Essentials" check for STG 139 (€205) and the "Essentials Plus" check for STG 249 (€368). You can compare the difference here at http://www.rac.co.uk/web/vehiclechecks/examination/

The AA also have two types of inspections. The "Basic" is from £136+VAT (€241) and the second one is the "Comprehensive Inspection" at £184+VAT (€325). http://www.theaa.com/motoring-advice/vehicle-inspections.html

Can anyone advice on which is the best??

Re: Buying BMW 320D in the UK.. Can I put it into my name and leave UK plates on it??

Well Guys,

I got my BMW 320D and I love it, its more than I expected!! I plan on clearing it buy not for a few weeks, can I put it into my name using the V5 form even though my address is in Ireland? ;)

no you cant put into your name with a non-uk address, except if you apply for an export certificate. revenue dont care about those so theres no need to do anything.

You are supposed to pay the VRT and 'clear' the car within 24hours of arrival. If you do not and get stopped you could be in trouble!
Don't forget you have to bring both parts of the V5 form with you to the VRT office (in the UK the seller keeps the green bit to post to the DVLA). If you do not then you have to get a signed letter from the VRT office stating that you have come in, tried to pay the VRT but unfortunately you did'nt have the other half of the V5 form. That usually gives you an extra month grace to 'find' the other half (green bit)!

You are supposed to pay the VRT and 'clear' the car within 24hours of arrival. If you do not and get stopped you could be in trouble!
Don't forget you have to bring both parts of the V5 form with you to the VRT office (in the UK the seller keeps the green bit to post to the DVLA). If you do not then you have to get a signed letter from the VRT office stating that you have come in, tried to pay the VRT but unfortunately you did'nt have the other half of the V5 form. That usually gives you an extra month grace to 'find' the other half (green bit)!

What sort of trouble exactly? I though that the Gardai cannot actually take the car unless you hand over the keys... Also if you get stopped whats the best thing to say? Spout off EU Law? I wouldn't mind not paying VRT for 4-5 months if possible...

This has been covered separately in other threads here. It's really not advisable: the law says that customs (not the Gardai) can seize the car if VRT hasn't been paid. Despite what others have claimed, you'd be on your own in trying to convince them not to do this.

If you're planning to pay anyway, why take the risk?

milage is checked as part of the hpi report,

how do they do that i hear

each tome in the UK when a car is serviced the milage is entered into the milage registration database, hpi check against this.

ive bought twice in the uk and about to again, wouldnt look at irish cars,

50 k on irish roads is equivelant to 100K on uk roads! better spec etc.

Congrats on your new BMW. I am also interested in that route so could you let me have web addresses for reliable dealers/resellers?

Slim

Thanks.. I used www.autotrader.co.uk Also try "the internet car showroom", "cargiant".... Thats about it, if you google car sales you'll prob get more but I found autotrader the best.. Good luck ;)

Back