Buying a parking space in my development

although the practicalities of preventing one from using the space if you have a fob are difficult

This isnt true as explained to me by the management agent and our directors at our AGM.

It was one of the first questions I asked.This is a really simple task carried out routinely in developments all over Ireland.

All fobs are re coded apart from the person you are trying to block. This is exactly what was done here.

This isnt true as explained to me by the management agent and our directors at our AGM.

It was one of the first questions I asked.This is a really simple task carried out routinely in developments all over Ireland.

All fobs are re coded apart from the person you are trying to block. This is exactly what was done here.

you have to be actively trying to block someone, and recoding everyone’s fob isn’t a task anyone wants to do that often it’s a pain.

The theory is fine, the practice less so

If you really want it, offer €5k and perhaps pay €8k.

Thanks Gordon. I'm going to go with that. My thinking was the same as yours -

"This person has something which he/she can’t use and the pool of potential buyers is massively restricted."

My gut feeling is that you should offer something near enough to what the car park space is worth.

If he asks for €20k and you offer €5k, he may well terminate discussions with you.

It is surprising that it is on the market for a year. It's even more surprising that given that it's been on the market for a year, you have no idea how much he has been asking for it.

He might be looking for too much.

Brendan

My gut feeling is that you should offer something near enough to what the car park space is worth.

It is only "worth" what a buyer and seller agree on an open market! Maybe I took economics too seriously back in the day, but a price can only be established in a marketplace. This is how prices are set and updated.

Otherwise your strategic advice regarding bidding is useful.

If he asks for €20k and you offer €5k, he may well terminate discussions with you.

It is surprising that it is on the market for a year. It's even more surprising that given that it's been on the market for a year, you have no idea how much he has been asking for it.

He might be looking for too much.

Brendan

Near what it's worth you say. That was the point of my original post Brendan. To find this out.

If he asks €20k I wont waste the mans time as we'll never meet at a price where we are both happy.

Some of the statements you make....I just dont get them. In either this latest response post or the previous one, where you made an assumption about me selling up. Based on absolutely nothing I had said or even intimated at.

As I have said. I only found out about the space at the beginning of the week. On Thurs my details were passed to the sellers solicitor and their details were passed to me. The MA facilitated this.

I was then asked to make direct contact with the solicitor myself. I did this on Fri. The solicitor hadn't been in contact with his client in quite awhile and has promised to get back to me next week when he has. With the asking price.

Given this where does your "surprise" and "even more surprise come from??

I found out about it on Tues evening last week and by Fri had made contact with the sellers solicitor.

For all I know, 31 owners could have known about the space for the last year and each one of them could know the asking price too. I'm only speaking for myself here Brendan.

Last edited:
It is only "worth" what a buyer and seller agree on an open market! Maybe I took economics too seriously back in the day, but a price can only be established in a marketplace. This is how prices are set and updated.

Otherwise your strategic advice regarding bidding is useful.

I would have mentioned this in my original post too re worth.

you made an assumption about me selling up. Based on absolutely nothing I had said or even intimated at.

Many people see an apartment as a place to live for a certain period of their life and move on at a later stage.

All people die.
I only found out about the space at the beginning of the week.

Given this where does your "surprise" and "even more surprise come from??

So a parking space which you would like has been on the market for over a year and you have just heard about it now.

That really is even more surprising.

Brendan

I would imagine that when you eventually come to sell your apartment you will recover your money easily.

Brendan you could be big enough to just say you were completely wrong with your assumption. Instead of saying

"We all die"

Yes some people buy an apartment as a 1st home, some people buy when they separate, some people buy when access becomes an issue due to some physical disability and some people buy say when the kids move out.

So many people do buy apartments at all stages of life. Not just as you assumed....on the way to buying a house.

Last edited:
Are you saying surprising or that I'm not telling the truth.

This was my 2nd AGM. It wasnt mentioned last year. So at this years AGM it was brought up by the managing agent. This was the first I had heard of it.

My neighbours to the left and right of my apartment are both renting. We chat all the time but they weren't aware of a space for sale either.

Their landlords may well have known but I dont have any contact with either of these people.

I don't understand your incredulity Brendan.....what am I gaining by not telling the truth. Now I'm wondering why am I trying to prove myself to you.

I would imagine that when you eventually come to sell your apartment you will recover your money easily. And there is also the possibility that someone else in the block will buy it from you to help them sell theirs.

Freddie, while I wish you a long life living in your apartment in Harold's Cross, I feel fairly sure that you will die and your executors will find it easier to sell your apartment with another parking space.

But if that is too big an assumption, then, of course, I apologise. May you live forever.

Brendan

Are you saying surprising or that I'm not telling the truth.

Freddie - calm down.

Saying that something is surprising does not mean that I think you are lying.

I just think that you are not tuned in to what is going on in the place where you live.

Brendan

For my future posts on here. Once I'm following all AAM rules, could I make a request that you dont reply to any new posts that I start?

Freddie - calm down.

Saying that something is surprising does not mean that I think you are lying.

I just think that you are not tuned in to what is going on in the place where you live.

Brendan

If that was your intention Brendan, why not say that from the start, instead of repeatedly getting more surprised.

Back