Buying a house with no planning permission

Kieron1961

I am considering buying a house with no planning permission.it’s 30years old .
Could I apply for planning permission through retention?

You need to talk to your solicitor.

Ideally, the problem should be fixed before you consider signing Contracts. A bank won't lend to you until the situation is fixed.

If you don't need a loan but are buying as a cash purchaser, you can do whatever you like but a retention for permission could be refused or be subject to onerous conditions.

mf

And the question has to be asked, why is it being sold without planning permission. Why aren't the current owners solving the problem. Surely they would get more for the house, and a quicker sale?

And the question has to be asked, why is it being sold without planning permission. Why aren't the current owners solving the problem. Surely they would get more for the house, and a quicker sale?

Very good point, having permission in place would significantly increase the value. I'd suspect the current owners may be aware of an issue that will prevent permission being grated or that will cost significant sums to put right. Waste treatment being a potential candidate.

I wouldn't touch that property with money from false compensation let alone any other money. I'd have to see full planning permission granted.

What other illegal activities did the person who authorised the building get up to if he thought he'd get away without applying for planning permission? - I suspect much.

Last edited:
Back