Buying a house with extension for which there are no documents from structural engineer

thecat777

Hi, long story short we are buying a house with extension for which there are no documents from structural engineer. The extension was build 15 years ago. The rear load bearing wall was removed and replaced with steel frame which needs to be certified and verified now. I got a quote of 2k for this works. We are thinking of asking for price reduction for the test but also we will have to withhold some amount of money, pending the results of the test just in case the frame is not up to standards and needs to be replaced. Do you know how much could replacement of the steel cost?

Many thanks

I would also be concerned that if they do not have the appropriate structural paperwork, what else did they skimp on when building the extension.

the planning permission, they also should have obtained planning permission but they did not, now we have to apply for retention permission if we buy the house, we will have to negotiate a huge price drop. I was just looking for cost for steel replacement, so I know all possible costs.

Don’t sign the contract until the seller supplies all the paperwork. They have an unsaleable house with no planning permission or engineer report. Why proceed with the sale?

the planning permission, they also should have obtained planning permission but they did not, now we have to apply for retention permission if we buy the house, we will have to negotiate a huge price drop. I was just looking for cost for steel replacement, so I know all possible costs.
They should apply for and get the rentention before you sign any contracts, same with the engineer's certs.

As above,
don't proceed any further with this purchase until they apply and receive planning for the extension, as you don't know what other information will be required before and even if it will be granted granted.
Have you spoken to your solicitor about this situation.

yes, I was given two options by my solicitor, request an appropriate price reduction or walk away.

The point really for this post was to get any idea of the cost for replacing the steel, so that I know what price reduction to ask for if we decide to go with option 1 above.

Well I think the 1st person you need to talk to is a structural engineer and have the whole property checked and surveyed and an estimated cost of the worst case scenario,as the issue you have identified could be only one of many as when you are dealing with planning authorities it's like asking how long is a piece of string as regards what they might require you to provide and decide then to walk away or not.

If we are to apply for retention permission, what documents would be needed. It appears there are no certs for anything done. Would we need to supply cert for the electrical works done? The Gas boiler was also moved, do we need Cert for this? Anything else we should be aware of?

What do your professional advisers think?

I’m a big fan of the help that AAM can provide people, but personally I wouldn’t be relying on the word of a few anonymous Johnnys, myself included, when faced with one of the biggest financial outlays of my life.

If we are to apply for retention permission, what documents would be needed. It appears there are no certs for anything done. Would we need to supply cert for the electrical works done? The Gas boiler was also moved, do we need Cert for this? Anything else we should be aware of?

You would need to get full detailed plans of the building drawn up just as you would if applying for planning in advance of works, pay for application / development contributions and face having to remedy anything the planners find issue with.

Take a look at your LA's planning site, you will likely find other retention applications. Review those and the documents attached along with the planners' decision letters. A look around neighbouring properties will give you an idea what the planners will allow, if the extension on this one is typical of what has been permitted, you shouldn't have an issue so long as there are no problems with things like drainage. Buying a house and then seeking retention does run the risk of a refusal, in which case you will need to remove the extension and reinstate the house to comply with the original planning.

You would need to get full detailed plans of the building drawn up just as you would if applying for planning in advance of works, pay for application / development contributions and face having to remedy anything the planners find issue with.

Take a look at your LA's planning site, you will likely find other retention applications. Review those and the documents attached along with the planners' decision letters. A look around neighbouring properties will give you an idea what the planners will allow, if the extension on this one is typical of what has been permitted, you shouldn't have an issue so long as there are no problems with things like drainage. Buying a house and then seeking retention does run the risk of a refusal, in which case you will need to remove the extension and reinstate the house to comply with the original planning.
But would you not recommend that the vendor carries out all that work prior to closing the sale? Seems an awful lot of risk to take on even with a decent reduction in sale price.

But would you not recommend that the vendor carries out all that work prior to closing the sale? Seems an awful lot of risk to take on even with a decent reduction in sale price.

Oh absolutely, I was highlighting the expense and risk the OP would be taking on if they did go ahead and purchase and look to do the planning retention afterwards.

I wouldn't buy a house where the vendor wasn't prepared to put all in order themselves prior to the sale unless I was confident that planning wouldn't be an issue AND I was getting a significant discount to cover the risks involved. It's no secret that compliance details will be requested by any solicitor representing a potential purchaser, a vendor choosing to ignore that and expect a purchaser to sort it out themselves sets too many alarm bells ringing.

How much price reduction do you think it would be appropriate to ask for, the agreed price is 285k, the initial asking price was 275k

Back