Buying a car in the UK

G

gweebarra

Hi,

Was considering buying a car in the UK. Would be willing to spend between £15 - £20k, so was hoping to pick up a nice car.

Has anyone done this before and if so, what advice would you give?

How does it work registering the car back in Ireland and what is the cost?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

pick a couple of models inc spec/mileage etc off of uk autotrader and then ring up a vrt office for a quote. the rate is 25-30% ? of what they think the car is worth here which generally means it is not worth your while for anything fancy/new.

you will need to pay VRT when you go to register the car in ireland (get irish plates)

the revenue have put up a vrt calculator on their website that calculates the vrt applicable. not sure if it is 100% accurate but would should give you a fairly good idea anyway

[broken link removed] for the calculator

I bought one in the North a few years ago. Revenue will tell you how much the VRT will be in advance.

No real problems. Expect VIN plate to be checked.

If you want some sort of warranty why not buy from a dealer in the North ( this will also see to it that the car is leggit VIN plate wise ).

DD

This section of might be helpful especially and this thread also

UK

Of course, if you have a UK address, the car can be registered there for six months and then youre exempt from paying VRT under the TOR (Transfer of Residence) scheme.

I will be doing this in the next three weeks or so and was wondering if I left the registration until the New Year, would it make any difference to the amount I had to pay? I also have an address in the UK and a UK licence but would worry about using the car in this country for 6 months without tax.

Of course, if you have a UK address, the car can be registered there for six months and then youre exempt from paying VRT under the TOR (Transfer of Residence) scheme.
Not true - If you are living in the UK, then you are exempt. If you are not living there, you are not exempt.

Back