Butter price increase August 2024

I do know that own brand Irish butter is the same product as branded Irish butter (82% milk fats and salted) so if you are buying the branded one you are just paying for the packaging.
They have unsalted own-brand butter for sale, a different coloured wrapper,

Attachments

• IMG_2665 3 3.jpg
    IMG_2665 3 3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2666 2 2.jpg
    IMG_2666 2 2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
454g Lidl own brand was €2.99 yesterday
Is that how much you were actually charged? Or perhaps they still have old price displayed?

Tesco, Supervalu, Dunnes, ALDI all gone to €3.39 so it would be interesting if LIDL are keeping it at €2.99

I know what the shopping costs but I don't know what a litre of milk costs or a pound of butter. I do know that own brand Irish butter is the same product as branded Irish butter (82% milk fats and salted) so if you are buying the branded one you are just paying for the packaging.
Yes , especially the fools who pay a premium for Kerrygold butter, not realising what the purpose/origins of the brand was and still is .

Last checked , Dunnes & Co were not in the business of producing any of butter, cheese milk, therefore punters are simply gifting away their cash when insisting on buying a packaged irish dairy product.

Dunnes & Lidl are both at 3.39 now so I presume they are all the same at this stage, got some of the 2.99 in Dunnes and fired into freezer but thought I might make it to Lidl before it was gone up there too. (Stocking up to make a wedding cake, not just for the savings on one block!)

Kerrygold is a brand of Ornua, formerly the Irish Dairy Board.

The IDB is owned by several dairy co-ops.

It used to be the case that several co-ops would make Kerrygold themselves.

Recently, Ornua centralised the production of Kerrygold in Co. Cork.

The co-ops now send their cream to this plant.

I know a guy who worked in butter production for a co-op.

They could make three brands: own-brand, their co-op brand, and Kerrygold.

Same cows, same milk, same butter, just at the end of the production line, different wrappers.

Back