Butter price increase August 2024

Bit out of the blue, pound of butter gone back up to €3.39 from €2.99

When you write "back up to ..." that suggests to me that it was €3.39 previously. If so then surely it's not really a price increase but merely the removal of a price reduction!

When you write "back up to ..." that suggests to me that it was €3.39 previously. If so then surely it's not really a price increase but merely the removal of a price reduction!
That depends on when you are observing it from :)

It was €3.39 previously but that was a good while back, all dairy had gone up significantly after a long period of static prices.

It's previous price before all of that was €2.29 for years iirc

I read this a few weeks ago on a baking page I am on, but when I was in Dunnes last week intending to stock up on it for the freezer with my voucher it hadn't gone up there at all. Now maybe it has gone up since then I don't know and yes it was 2.29 for years then went sky high around Covid along with everything else, went up to 3.99 I think.

Likely full of palm oil. Yuk!
If it is, it's not butter. Those products contaminated with palm oil are "dairy spreads" and cannot legally be described as or sold as butter.

Some staff members in my local CENTRA insist on slathering dairy spread over bread & rolls when I say "butter" in response to the question "Butter or Mayo?" I've now taken to walking away rather than argue about whether staff calling a product "butter" magically transforms "dairy spread" into a different food. I told the manager that he needs to invest in service staff training. In my days working in retail as a kid during summer holidays, the customer was always right.

I always decline the 'butter' in delis because as discovered it's never butter but cheap spread of some sort, I tell them butter it with a bit of coleslaw either side, yep cheapy mayonnaise but preferable!

Yes and no age at all....

Just spotted this on www.imdb.com

• Trivia
    When Emma was given the screenplay that included the tongue-twisting "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" speech on a Friday afternoon, her co-star Dawn French told her she would never be able to remember it by the next Friday when filming began in front of a live audience. That weekend, Emma and her husband drove to the country to visit relatives and Emma practised the speech over one hundred times in the car and learnt it perfectly for rehearsals the next Monday. Dawn French was speechless.

Butter is a traded commodity and price started rising late last year after falling to 4,500/tonne from all time highs of €7,000 per tonne

It now back over €7,000, so expect further rides.

My guess is the exceptionally hot weather around Europe and India has had a huge affect.

I don’t care how much real butter costs, we’ll still buy it. All the other spreads are Yugh!

You did well but just to be sure I'd check the use by date.

According to the CSO a lb of butter hasn't cost less than €3, nationally, since September 21.
Don't think we "did well" per se, it's been that price in Dunnes for I'm reckoning for well over a year
And I'm guessing the CSO doesn't factor in the discount offers that the retailers offer like Dunnes 20% off shop and save voucher
which reduces the price from €2.99 on the shelf to €2.39 at the till which is well below the CSO's lowest average in 2012

Speaking of butter well a different kind of butter, I was looking for something to munch on a few months ago and came across a bag of salted peanuts which were a month beyond their best before date
Informed Mrs C about them and she said leave them there and she'll do something with them
Woke up the next morning to find Mrs C had made peanut butter
Toasted Sourdough bread and peanut butter, yum yum yummy :D

Last edited:
I don’t care how much real butter costs, we’ll still buy it. All the other spreads are Yugh!
I keep a tub of Lidl gold spread in the fridge for emergencies, it is one of the better spreads - an emergency is defined as either running out of butter or butter too hard :)

LIDL today, price €2.09 per 227 grams, €9.21 per kg, 100% Irish creamery butter, own-brand

Maybe the potential trade war between China and EU over electric car tariffs will push down the price of butter here as less will be going to China over China imposing trade tariffs on dairy products coming from EU

If it is, it's not butter. Those products contaminated with palm oil are "dairy spreads" and cannot legally be described as or sold as butter.

Some staff members in my local CENTRA insist on slathering dairy spread over bread & rolls when I say "butter" in response to the question "Butter or Mayo?" I've now taken to walking away rather than argue about whether staff calling a product "butter" magically transforms "dairy spread" into a different food. I told the manager that he needs to invest in service staff training. In my days working in retail as a kid during summer holidays, the customer was always right.
Fully agree, yes these spreads are fully of palm ooils and other cheap fillers/...

I know what the shopping costs but I don't know what a litre of milk costs or a pound of butter. I do know that own brand Irish butter is the same product as branded Irish butter (82% milk fats and salted) so if you are buying the branded one you are just paying for the packaging.

Back