Burning question of the day ... gas or charcoal BBQ?

I was a hardcore charcoal BBQ guy, until I was gifted a gas BBQ. OMG, how could I have been so wrong????

I was a hardcore charcoal BBQ guy, until I was gifted a gas BBQ. OMG, how could I have been so wrong????
I BBQ a few times a week, just wouldn’t be a runner to be doing that with charcoal. I think if you’re a BBQ enthusiast then sure go charcoal, but for the average person and especially for first time barbecuers gas is the way to go. Definitely want to try and get one that allows the dripping fat to burn and add flavour though, so the likes of lava rock over the burner etc.

Update. In the end, opted for charcoal kettle BBQ as price/performance seemed best. More delays in getting food cooked than gas but we were finally happy to have a BBQ again. I can see benefits of gas over charcoal but no real biggie in end, just extra (smallish) costs.

Reactions: Leo
Update. In the end, opted for charcoal kettle BBQ as price/performance seemed best. More delays in getting food cooked than gas but we were finally happy to have a BBQ again. I can see benefits of gas over charcoal but no real biggie in end, just extra (smallish) costs.
We just bought a cheap little charcoal bbq. Problem is getting decent charcoal to burn. Had previous success with Bord na Mona light the bag stuff but can't get it now. Yesterday, bought Zip similar but useless. Today bought loose charcoal in Costcutters. Very slow to light with many squirts of lighter fluid.

Any recommendations or advice? I must be doing something wrong!

Any recommendations or advice? I must be doing something wrong!

Try buying a 'chimney'* this allows the fire tostart in a cylinder but with a perforated bottom. There are also little strips of wood 'sausages' (for want of a better description) that you can buy which ignote similar to Zip-stuff. That's what we use.

*Bought two on Amazon as we have a kettle which took forever to heat up and then struggled to get past 200degrees My thinking is two chimneys of hot coals at same time should cure that.

Get yourself some kindling to get the charcoal started. A mix of wood and charcoal at the start gets it going quicker.

Very interesting. I never heard of a 'chimney' bbq starter before. I will try the kindling. As soon as I can get a gas bbq, I will.
Thanks all for the replies.

The 1KG burn in the bag charcoal (in a 4 pack) from Aldi is grand. Easily cooked up a load of pork belly, eight burgers and s'mores for me this evening.

Get yourself some kindling to get the charcoal started. A mix of wood and charcoal at the start gets it going quicker.
And no rolled up newspapers to get it going. Can be a disaster especially if you started your fore in a chimney. When you pour the coals etc into the kettle, the paper-ashes etc fly everywhere ...

Back