Builder coming back for more money

Marie - I was only talking about the snags with what he's done.
For example, rain/dampness coming in from the chimney (not down it), from where it joins the wall. I wouldn't expect him to fix snags from other peoples work. I've already stated the 10K which is outstanding is punt not euros. And as Askalot mentions it still doesn't equate to 26 grand.

Jason, if there were problems with his work, and you had given him the opportunity to fix himself, and he didnt, then I would deduct the money it cost you to fix from the original figure. If I were in your shoes I would go to a solicitor and get a form drafted which the builder can sign saying he accepts 'X' figure in full and final payment of all/any debts outstanding to him. Then I'd go with my form and cash ( not advocating defrauding revenue here, just that people find hard cash extremely hard to turn down, especially at this time of year) and arrange to meet him, have a chat and point out that you had to get such and such fixed, it cost you so much, but that of course the man must be paid for his work, and you make it 'X' inclusive of interest ( give him a bit of interest) and say you have it here in cash if he will sign the disclaimer. Be prepared to walk away if he doesnt accept. But try to keep it amicable.

Most contracts would include a provision to retain a portion of the costs until the building has been completed satisfactorily. If he hasn't responded to queries about snags, then you could argue you are entitled to withhold the money. I would certainly deduct any expenses due to his not fixing the snags from the amount outstanding. Offer him something in the region of €5000.

Another point - did you sign the quote? Does he have anything to indicate that you actually agreed to the price?

I think the moral of this story is don't start building until you have proper contracts drawn up.

We didn't sign nothing.

All we got from him was a a5 letterheaded sheet with

"
Direct Labour (walls, stone face, roof) 46,000

Contract to do whole of house 160,000
"

And that was it, after my wife and I discussed the options, we phoned him up and said we just wanted him to do the direct labour.

Back