Broadcast charge

Nordkapp

Yet again Pat Rabbits old chestnut raises its head.

Key question, will this be levied on the occupier of the property or the owner?

As a landlord I don't want to pick up the bill of my tenants.

As a home owner with a few TV, few laptops and few phones, how would this work and what cost would it be per year?

All good questions, haven't seen the answers listed anywhere yet, and I will further add:
- What if is a property rented to three different people?

How will a private collection company be any more effective at collecting the charge than An Post?
Maybe they can do it a bit cheaper, but they will come up against all the same obstacles as An Post do from a legal perspective.

It's pure kiting as they are talking 5 years down the line. How long is it since the coinín started this ráiméas and what plate is he on these days ?

I bet that it will be collected by the Revenue and rolled into the Property Tax collection. If you want an efficient organisation to collect taxes, sorry, charges, they're yer man :)

If it is anything like the TV license, it will be levied on the occupant.

This is problematic, as there is no national register of occupants. The private rented sector has a lot of turnover. What about student accommodation, co-living, etc?

They should really just bite the bullet and fund the public service part of RTÉ it out of general taxation. Much cheaper to collect and more equitable.

This is problematic, as there is no national register of occupants. The private rented sector has a lot of turnover. What about student accommodation, co-living, etc?
They should really just bite the bullet and fund the public service part of RTÉ it out of general taxation. Much cheaper to collect and more equitable.

My concern with that is that RTE would just start grabbing more and more money from weak governments, they will see it as a bottomless pit of funding.
The licence fee at the moment is the only thing keeping them under any sort of fiscal discipline.
Their funding needs to be tied to something \ limited in some way. Maybe household charge, or something else - open to ideas.

And then fund 'non core' offerings such as TG4 and concert orchestras from the budget of the Arts \ Culture \ Gaeltacht.

My concern with that is that RTE would just start grabbing more and more money from weak governments, they will see it as a bottomless pit of funding.

Not necessarily so.

You just have a committee of the wise who makes a recommendation to the relevant minister every year about funding levels.

It could be linked to clear performance targets - overseen by a regulator - for public service outputs. Tubridy's wages, etc, could come from the commercial revenue.

Not necessarily so.
You just have a committee of the wise who makes a recommendation to the relevant minister every year about funding levels.
It could be linked to clear performance targets - overseen by a regulator - for public service outputs. Tubridy's wages, etc, could come from the commercial revenue.

Not sure. In theory that should work but in Ireland Quangos like that usually get captured by the industry pretty quickly. See Comreg.

Not sure. In theory that should work but in Ireland Quangos like that usually get captured by the industry pretty quickly. See Comreg.

Regulators for aviation and energy set regulatory prices based on industry investment needs all the time with a minimum of fuss.

Equitable assuming all who avail of the service are tax payers: why should take payers be subsidising the .....

Everyone's taxes pay for public libraries.

Many probably most people don't use them.

Same goes for lots of public services.

My point is about efficiency of revenue collection. The TV license is expensive to collect and absurdly easy to evade.

Do we need RTE? To say it's fair and impartial is taking some liberty. We've seen what side it takes in the abortion referendum, the gay referendum, the Pat Kenny Presidential fiasco, etc, etc. It should be able to stand on its own 2 feet or fall. We dare not enter the argument of salaries and perks. End of.

Back