Bringing Non-EU Spouse and two children into Ireland

fender

I am asking a question on behalf of my son.

He wants to bring his Non-EU wife, who does NOT work, and their two children back to Ireland.

Does anybody know what this entails financially??

I understand that he needs to have earned 40k before tax in the last 3 years (or approx €13,300 per year for his wife. To bring his two children he must have a weekly income after taxes €652. So he would need an annual income of approx 60k for the children alone.

What would he need to be earning to support his wife and children to satisfy the entry requirements??

Thanks in advance for any advise you may have.

Non-EU wife, who does NOT work, and their two children
Who takes care of the children in that case? Will they be bringing that person along?
I wonder would there be a requirement to support the third adult also.

Yes - His wife would be coming and she would look after the two small children. So I am wondering what would the financial requirements be for the four of them to come back to Ireland. He is an Irish citizen and would be the only one working.

If they are 'his' children they have (can apply for) Irish Citizenship. This removes them from the financially equation.

I am asking a question on behalf of my son.

He wants to bring his Non-EU wife, who does NOT work, and their two children back to Ireland.

Does anybody know what this entails financially??

I understand that he needs to have earned 40k before tax in the last 3 years (or approx €13,300 per year for his wife. To bring his two children he must have a weekly income after taxes €652. So he would need an annual income of approx 60k for the children alone.

What would he need to be earning to support his wife and children to satisfy the entry requirements??

Thanks in advance for any advise you may have.
Did you see this already?

If your son is Irish the children would be Irish citizens also.
The wife could apply for a stamp 4 visa once she gets here.
She would need too register for a IRP card.

Did you see this already?
Yes - thank you I am trying to make sense of it all.
If they are 'his' children they have (can apply for) Irish Citizenship. This removes them from the financially equation.
They are his children - thanks Towger. This is the information I am looking for.
If your son is Irish the children would be Irish citizens also.
The wife could apply for a stamp 4 visa once she gets here.
She would need too register for a IRP card.
Thank you Pinoy adventure

So to satisfy the requirements my son would just have to prove earning 40k over the last 3 years to being his wife, and as his children are irish citizens they are removed from the financial equation. His wife can then apply for a stamp 4 and IRP card.
Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - thank you I am trying to make sense of it all.

They are his children - thanks Towger. This is the information I am looking for.

Thank you Pinoy adventure

So to satisfy the requirements my son would just have to prove earning 40k over the last 3 years to being his wife, and as his children are irish citizens they are removed from the financial equation. His wife can then apply for a stamp 4 and IRP card.
Is this correct?
There's no mention of the €40k requirement in the citizens information link above.

And I would guess the kids are not automatically citizens. They are entitled to be and can be granted citizenship but have to apply for this.
So get the citizenship for the kids and then work through the process outlined in the link for the wife.

There's no mention of the €40k requirement in the citizens information link above.

And I would guess the kids are not automatically citizens. They are entitled to be and can be granted citizenship but have to apply for this.
So get the citizenship for the kids and then work through the process outlined in the link for the wife.
There's something about it here but, oddly, I don't see it in any official government issued info so far.

The 40k over 3 years requirement does exist, but in this day and it is (normally) easy achieved. What is the government is trying to stop is people arriving who cannot provide for them selves. On arrival the wives passport will probably be stamped with "No recourse to public funds". Once here, especially with Irish children this does not appear to be enforced. She can apply for children's allowance etc.

The children should ideally have been registered as Irish Citizens at birth and irish passports applied for. Even if the passport is never used, it makes it is much easier for them to get/renew later on in life.

The 40k over 3 years requirement does exist, but in this day and it is (normally) easy achieved.
I'd never heard of it but I'm guessing it's designed to be approximately what a single adult would get on unemployment benefits here in Ireland.

@fender if your son does not have Irish passports for your grandchildren he should start the process ASAP. First-time applications from abroad take time and expense but will greatly ease the immigration process.

Back