'Briggs & Stratton' engined John Deer Vs 'Kohler' engined Husqvarna Ride Ons

GT_TDI_150

Guys,

I'm only new here but need a bit of advise.

I am looking to by a ride-on lawn mower and am kinda torn between the following:

a 'briggs & stratton' engined John Deer and a 'Kohler' Engined Husqvarna

I would appreciate any feed back on both engins and both brands of ride-ons

Don't know much about them but I believe both are good. From what I've heard B & S are second only to Honda for lawnmower engines, based on that (anecdotal) evidence, I would maybe suggest the B & S...but I'm no expert. (I have a B & S self drive BTW which is so far, excellent)

Any one else with opinions on these? I'm gonna be spending 2-3K so I wanna make sure I make the correct investment

OH invested in a john deere ride on about 7 years ago and its the best thing we ever bought, he bought a trailer for it and it has drawn stone to build an entrance, lay a patio, its had hardship and it has only been to the main dealer once for a full service which was last year, he changes the oil himself in between. We have 1.5 acre of lawn. Best money ever spent. My parents bought a castlegarden at the same time and have had to trade it in (on last legs) for a honda a few weeks ago.

OH invested in a john deere ride on about 7 years ago and its the best thing we ever bought, he bought a trailer for it and it has drawn stone to build an entrance, lay a patio, its had hardship and it has only been to the main dealer once for a full service which was last year, he changes the oil himself in between. We have 1.5 acre of lawn. Best money ever spent. My parents bought a castlegarden at the same time and have had to trade it in (on last legs) for a honda a few weeks ago.

Thanks - real life valuable input!!! keep it coming peeps

I bough a Bolens ride on with a B&S engine about eleven years ago and the engine is about the only thing on it which hasn't needed any repairs.
The small B&S motors you see on mowers in Woodies and Atlantic don't seem to last very long but the larger ones are excellent.
Having said all that Kohler have a very good name, usually seen on generators.

I bough a Bolens ride on with a B&S engine about eleven years ago and the engine is about the only thing on it which hasn't needed any repairs.
The small B&S motors you see on mowers in Woodies and Atlantic don't seem to last very long but the larger ones are excellent.
Having said all that Kohler have a very good name, usually seen on generators.

it would be a 13.5hp B&S in the John deer - you consider that a small engine? or class that as a larger one?

Any one else with opinions on these? I'm gonna be spending 2-3K so I wanna make sure I make the correct investment

Hi,

We understand your anxiousness about such a large purchase but bumping posts with such a short gap is against the

Have you had a read of previous threads on this subject .

A Kubota with a diesel engine is very good. A lot of profesional landscapers use Kubota mowers.

Not necessarily. They can be very expensive - up to 20K+ but these are for very high spec. versions. I think there are sub 5K Kobuta mowers too. Depends what you want.

I've been using a Castle garden 13.5hp tractor lawnmower, which has a B&S engine, for a few years now and find it excellent - a mate of mine has had the exact same machine for 6 years and it's been trouble free. I have about 1.25 acres of grass and I also cut about 0.5 acres regularly for an elderly neighbour - the tractor is well up to the task imo. Before the Castle garden I had a Bolens 13hp tractor with mulcher and it gave me nothing but trouble.

I purchased a ride on last year and did a fair amount of research at the time. A lot of the different branded mowers are built in the same factory. Some JD's would share components with similar size Castelgarden etc. Could be just the bonnet that is different in some cases.

Husqvarna and Kohler have a good reputation also. What would decide it for me is price and service provided by the dedicated retailers. Avoid the DIY store mowers.

Husqvarna and Kohler have a good reputation also. What would decide it for me is price and service provided by the dedicated retailers. Avoid the DIY store mowers.

I can get a 13.5HP, 36" cut, Hydrostatic(automatic) JD for €2800 or 17HP 36"cut, Hydrostatic Husq for €2950.

If you can get the 17HP Husky for that price (does that include VAT) then I'd take the guys hand off. I wouldn't bother with a 13Hp ride on unless you have a very flat site.

Husqvarna also come with a B&S engine, have they quoted you for that option? Kohler are a good brand of engine and there is probably nothing wrong with it but as far as I am concerned B&S are the brand leaders in lightweight lawnmower engines.

If you can get the 17HP Husky for that price (does that include VAT) then I'd take the guys hand off.

The brochure price of that Husky is €3100 including VAT so for a straight deal (no trade in ) I don't think GT_TDI_150 is doing that well. The Castle garden 13.5hp tractor lawnmower that I referred to earlier cost me €2200 as a straight deal whereas the brochure price is € 2645.

Kearneys of Galway is doing a Castlegarden XT180 , a 17.5 hp hydrostatic with collector for €3,295 as is Croom cycles Croom limerick for €3,200.

Secman

Have an opportunity to buy a brand new 20hp husqvarna for €2700 but its an american model yth2040, being a 20hp briggs & stratton engine and a 40 deck. Does anyone know if it is the same as an irish model , with the model badge being only difference. Would irish parts suit ?

Thanks

Secman

Last edited:
Back