Brenda Power calls Drag Queen He not She: Politicial correctness gone mad?

johnd

Yesterday in the Sunday Times there was reaction to Brenda Power's article of the previous week when she referred to gay activist Miss Panti's speech at a Gay Pride parade. The main complaint seemed to be that she referred to Miss Pandi as He rather than She. Is this another example of politicial correctness gone mad? Miss Pandi is a drag queen who male name is Rory ( I think)

Presumably Rory's alter ego is a 'she' (Ms. Panti / Ms. Pandi) and should therefore be referred to in the feminine gender, while Rory if he has not had a gender alteration operation, is still a 'he'.

This would be consistent with other artistes who have a counter-gender persona e.g. Lilly Savage / Paul O'Grady, Robin Williams / Mrs Doubtfire, Brendan O'Carroll / Mrs Brown, Barry Humphries / Dame Edna Everage, etc.

Presumably Rory's alter ego is a 'she' (Ms. Panti / Ms. Pandi) and should therefore be referred to in the feminine gender, while Rory if he has not had a gender alteration operation, is still a 'he'.

This would be consistent with other artistes who have a counter-gender persona e.g. Lilly Savage / Paul O'Grady, Robin Williams / Mrs Doubtfire, Brendan O'Carroll / Mrs Brown, Barry Humphries / Dame Edna Everage, etc.

Why not stick with what his birth cert say?

I can assure you that was not the main complaint about Ms Powers article! The main complaint would be that it was offensive bigoted drivel from start to finish, as was the self-justifying follow up a week later.

And if you are referring to someone who is wearing a dress, high heels, full make up and is known as Ms or Miss, then the correct pronoun is she. Not rocket science.....

If they are known as ms or miss it still doesn't make them a she if in fact they are a he. What's the big deal in calling someone by their correct gender?

If they are known as ms or miss it still doesn't make them a she if in fact they are a he. What's the big deal in calling someone by their correct gender?

There is no big deal. The OP missed the point by a wide shot in saying that "the main complaint seemed to be that she referred to Miss Pandi as He rather than She". This is simply not the case. This is a pointless thread based on something that never happened.

Dame Edna Everage is always referred to as "she". Barry Humphries as "he". They are one and the same. I would refer to each in the gender appropriate to that persona. Same here. Ends.

Whats the big deal in having some manners and calling someone the title they prefer? No-one said he actually becomes a she, but going out of your way to do the opposite of what everyone else does is just rude. Which presumably is the point?
It could be construed as bad manners but if the person addressing the other is uncomfortable using an incorrect term then it seems only right that they do what seems right for them. It is hardly going out of the way either tbh.

It could be construed as bad manners but if the person addressing the other is uncomfortable using an incorrect term then it seems only right that they do what seems right for them. It is hardly going out of the way either tbh.

I would construe this as bad manners. If I ask someone to refer to me using a particular title then I would expect them to use it. I do not understand why using the title I prefer to be addressed would make someone 'uncomfortable' unless it was profane - which in this case it is not.

if you google for the original article you'll find that the article was not about the gender of the speaker but a little rant about homosexuals in general, it seemed quite petty and bigoted.

I then read another article from the same author and she seemed to be complaining that one of the most annoying thing of the scrapping of the state sponsored cervical screening was that now she would have to get it done privately for her teenage girls; she found this most annoying because now she had to explain to the girls about sex, thus ending their innocence.

Had it been obligatory for everyone she assumes the girls would not have asked her about it. Quite a dim woman judging by these two articles.

I disagree. If my title is Ms but that makes you feel uncomfortable you would still be rude in referring to me as Mrs or Ms. Same if my title is Dr and you don't like that, its sort of tough.
If it makes you uncomfortable to call someone by the title they use and prefer, best action probably would be to not talk to them or about them, thereby solving yourself the problem.
I wouldn't call you Dr unless in fact you were it doesn't make sense. If I wanted to be referred to as Lord would it be rude for people to say otherwise? of course it wouldn't it is just petty to even get worked up slightly by it.

I would construe this as bad manners. If I ask someone to refer to me using a particular title then I would expect them to use it. I do not understand why using the title I prefer to be addressed would make someone 'uncomfortable' unless it was profane - which in this case it is not.
I don't think I would like anyone expecting me to refer to them in a title of their choosing, they may expect it of their inner circle but for the wider community expectations should be lowered.

I don't think I would like anyone expecting me to refer to them in a title of their choosing, they may expect it of their inner circle but for the wider community expectations should be lowered.

Fair enough Mrs Man.

I suppose I should have said 'an appropriate title of my choosing' because I assume if I ask you to refer to me as Professor Truthseeker it might be a little strange considering I am not actually a professor.

I suppose I should have said 'an appropriate title of my choosing' because I assume if I ask you to refer to me as Professor Truthseeker it might be a little strange considering I am not actually a professor.

Well if you dressed as a professor and pretended to be one it would still be strange to some is my point.

"I wouldn't call you Dr unless in fact you were it doesn't make sense. If I wanted to be referred to as Lord would it be rude for people to say otherwise? of course it wouldn't it is just petty to even get worked up slightly by it. " MrsMan.

But what if I have a doctorate in Philosophy but you are uncomfortable using the term for anyone but a medical doctor? Your discomfort does not negate my referring to myself as Dr Jaybird. If you wanted to create a persona for yourself with the clothes and rigmarole and so on and call yourself Lord, I'll call you the same, its good manners as far as I am concerned. I might privately think you are barking mad, but my manners would preclude me from saying so! And I don't think it is petty. Transgender politics are not petty when you are a campaigner for same, so I don't believe this issue is petty at all.

I think its pretty clear here that the refusal to call someone Miss while they are using a female persona is about a lot more than the actual title. If you wish to call someone Mr when they refer to themselves as Miss, you are of course fully entitled to, but it says a lot more about you than it says about them.

The fact that anyone could get worked up about having their gender correctly referred to is just a little bit sad imo. I have no problem with a guy dressing up in ladies gear and calling himself Dolly or whatever but i also have no problem with others referring to Dolly as 'Brian' if thats his/her real name. Its just a name. We are all different even those rude people who are happy to say things as they see them rather than how others expect them to see things. You can even change my name to Missman when your done using Mrsman, I wont be offended.

The fact that anyone could get worked up about having their gender correctly referred to is just a little bit sad imo. I have no problem with a guy dressing up in ladies gear and calling himself Dolly or whatever but i also have no problem with others referring to Dolly as 'Brian' if thats his/her real name. Its just a name. We are all different even those rude people who are happy to say things as they see them rather than how others expect them to see things. You can even change my name to Missman when your done using Mrsman, I wont be offended.

You may not mind incorrect gender reference, but the point is that Dolly does mind it. So while you feel no offence is caused by Mrsman, Dolly feels that offence is caused by Brian (while dressed as Dolly).

How would you feel if co workers repeatedly got your name wrong and even when corrected used the wrong name - would you just accept it and start answering to the wrong name? (A bit like Trigger calling Rodney Dave in Only Fools and Horses). And worse, how would you feel if they started calling you a female name, in front of everyone else, all the time. So suddenly in your normal environment you are no longer MrMan, but are now Mary. Its one thing to do it on a website, but quite another in real life.

Its a matter of self identification when Dolly is dressed as Dolly, if people refer to her as Brian then they are not identifing her as Dolly when she wishes to use that persona. And added into the wrong name, they are addressing her in wrong gender.

There’s a world of a difference between a transgender and a transvestite. A transgender person is struggling with their gender, a transvestite is a man who wears women’s clothing to create a flamboyant female identity. A cross dresser is different again. What the sexual preference of any of the above may be I do not know but if someone is presenting themselves in a particular persona on a particular day I see no reason not to play along. It’s no big deal to me and it might be a big deal to them. Why cause offence for no good reason?

Back