Brand new car..mis sold

Poorthing

Proud owner of a confirmed mis sold car. 40k+ purchase. Main dealer very slow to solve, even disinterested. How to solve? Anyone with experience of this?

(First post).

Prefer not go into detail as first time seeking help online. Salesman admitted his mistake two days later last January and it was confirmed car was mis sold and apologized. I'm a single female and can't seem to progress with this, they just tell me not too worry. But now they are not taking my calls and hiding when I drive in unannounced.

Edit. He said he'd take car back last January.

But you need to give some indication of the mistake before any advice can be offered?

.. mis-sold wrong model?, extras not given? ... without a little more detail you will not get any helpful advice here I'm afraid.

Its the basic structure of the car, it can't be upgraded/modified. Iv changed from my previous 5 new cars to a larger sized car and this unforeseen situation happened.

I'm failing to see how you could be mis-sold a car from a structure point of view

Did you not look at a brochure/look at the maker's website/take a test drive/walk around the car and open all doors etc. before you realeased your hard earned cash?

I was and I had it already confirmed Iv been mis sold so its from this point I need the help.

I had my homework done but even the dealership wasn't aware of a change the larger sized car new model had.

this unforeseen situation happened.

Its so unforeseen, I cant see it.

The previous 4 posters want to help you, and have repeatedly asked you the same question,
If anyone can answer this question without the information, then can you tell me how long this piece of string is that Im holding.

but even the dealership wasn't aware of a change the larger sized car new model had.

I take it you ordered a new model of car without having seen it in advance and there was a difference between it and the previous model you weren't expecting. I don't see how the dealership could have mis-sold it to you if they were unaware of the change, as you have acknowledged. In ordering a new model without actually seeing it you are taking on the risk of something unexpected like this although I'd imagine if you had examined the brochure well you might have noticed.

If you have written evidence of the car being 'mis-sold', a written acknowledgement of this from the salesman/dealership or you have it in writing that they agreed to replace the car it would be worth pursuing them. Otherwise I would advise to forget about it and move on.

But maybe I have mis-read the situation.

I’m reminded of Donald Rumsfeld’s reference to known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns; this is definitively the latter. It’s very difficult for people to offer meaningful assistance when they’re forced to fumble around in the dark to ascertain the nature of the issue.

The poster has said it was already confirmed as mis sold [ whatever that means ]

When that was said to you what followed, plans to take car back, exchange it or nothing at all ?

Phone the owner of the dealership directly, bypass whomever you have been dealing with, take notes of the conversations, call the head office eg Ford Ireland if it was a Ford and state your position.

It is difficult to make sense of your post.

OK I ordered the car following discussions with the salesmen, I'm nearly 15 years buying cars from this dealer so a good customer and only ever seen them for services or buying. Every car iv ordered off them unseen. Every car iv paid in full as iv family who purchase my used cars.

One salesman had double checked various points I had raised. Head office are aware, thanks Palerider. The salesman immediately admitted he'd just assumed these various points and hadn't actually checked at all.

Voice of reason, no buyer remorse at all. The car I purchased wasn't as described. It was head office who used the term mis sold.

Edit. Ilgon, it wasn't in the brochure.

Edit. Its nearly 35 years (15 cars), all new and as far as I remember all were ordered and I waited to collect in January.

Last edited:
He said, she said. Have you written formally requesting redress? If not, you should.

[QUOTE

Important information not previously provided, your problem is sorted now Poorthing.[/QUOTE]

What does this mean?

It doesn't seem like anything has been "mis old" but there's very little to work with here. In any case, if you have bought that many cars from the same dealer over such a prolonged period of time it's likely they'll be keen to resolve it regardless of whether there is any obligation on them. And without meaning to add insult to injury, it's absolutely criminal to not bring a car for a spin before parting with €40k!

I wonder poor thing did you take delivery of the car when it arrived and as a result of taking delivery is it now assumed by head office you accept it was not as you thought, but you are taking it anyway.

So you order new car, check with sales man that indicator switch is on left as per usual, he assures you it is. Car arrives and oops indicator switch is on right. So you drive away in your new car and discover this “massive problem” within 2 days. So back you go, car not as requested and you leave the car there and ask for a full refund.

Or you phone them and tell them about the issue and then wait for them to do what .... And now it is 3 months later and you are driving around in a car now worth €30K and you want them to do what ....

Brendan is right. You need to tell them in writing what you want and if you don’t want the car you should either have refused to take delivery of it or returned it for a full refund at the earliest possible moment.

Deekie, yes, all done. Iv had meetings with dealer and head office (emails and too many phonecalls), all within the first week. Choice was set out (looking for more money for larger car which I don't need/want pay anymore for, eventually agreed 50/50), not satisfactorily to me and then they agreed to take my car back. I was to wait for a date for this to happen. This is where Iv reached a standstill. Head office said I need to work with the dealer last January.

This isn't a simple indicator switch. A test drive or indeed years off driving wouldn't highlight this issue. I called into my solicitor yesterday, a route I didn't want to go and have now contacted SIMI. If they don't achieve anything I'm to go back to solicitor.

Poorthing,

I’ll ask you again, what exactly is the issue?

Please set it out in clear concise language.

e.g. they told you that the car would take three carseats in the back and it doesn’t.

Gordon

Back