Brake discs, how long should they last ?

Nope, I don't know who you're quoting here but it's nonsense. Earlier in the thread someone posted about changirear pads without changing the discs. This was and is common prractice and is perfectly safe as long as the discs are within manufacturers' specs as engraved on the discs.
The only reason new pads will need time to "bed in" or "grip the old discs" as you put it above is if the wear on the old discs is uneven and they are grovved and/or pitted. Two perfectly flat surfaces properly installed need no time to "bed in" to deliver excellent braking.

An update, I brought the car to a small and recommended local mechanic. He said with Mrs P’s 20,000 km annual usage there is at least another year left on front and read discs. Front and rear pads needed replacing which he supplied and fitted for a total price of €300.

Thanks for the replies.

I nearly choked on my corn flakes when I saw 1100 for brakes and discs. Glad you got sorted in the end.

Many apologies Bank Manager, I'm only after realising that you responded to my question

Yes everything you have written above is correct except for point d
If you had read my post below you would have noticed that I gave reasons regarding why I changed the rear discs and pads

Given that it was my choice to replace the pads along with the discs, I still can't see why you think I was scammed by the dealer

As regards to paying too much or been "ripped off", well you're all possibly right but I have my own personal reasons for using my local Nissan dealer

Last edited:
Many apologies Bank Manager, I'm only after realising that you responded to my question
No problem at all...
Apologies, I had misunderstood that the 'garage' had suggested they needed changing...
On the basis that it was your decision then of course I don't think you were scammed by the garage...
Once you are happy with the price, that's the main thing...